Data Backup and Recovery

Flex Clone Scheduling

andrew_stack

Hello,

In using Flex Clone a development division of my company has asked that the process of creating the clone be automated.  They would like to have the following automated on a scheduled weekly basis:

1.  Delete the existing clone copy.

2.  Create a new copy.

3.  Change the exports of the new clone copy from production servers to staging servers.

4.  Re-export.

In my mind this sounds like a script process but before I go down that path I thought I'd present the issue here in this community in hopes of an easier solution.

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2

ekashpureff

Andrew -

You didn't mention what apps/environments you are cloning, but ...

Even with SnapManager and ProtectionManager there's no scheduled re-clone option that I've seen, just scheduled snap/vault/mirror.

SnapManager for Oracle will do remote cloning for you, including mounting the clone. There shouldn't be much scripting to it, you just need to schedule the job.

The other SnapManager products have like capabilities. You might want to take advantage of using those scheduled snaps for your clone.

Given that re-cloning off of a mirror is a very standard practice in Oracle and other environs, it would probably be a neat feature for the SnapManager folks to add to the family of products.

If you're not using SnapManager, then it's time to roll up your sleeves and script ...

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff
NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

andrew_stack

Yes, the environment is a straight NFS volume.  No snapdrive or other agent (which would make life easier - I agree).  So ultimately I'm left to trying to script I guess using the New Powershell.

Thanks for your reply.  If you have any tips or suggestions script wise to do the following please let me know:

1.  Login to the filer.

2.  Offline Flex Clone.

3.  Delete Flex Cone Vol.

4.  Create New Flex Clone.

5.  Set new exports for new volume.

6.  Export.

Ugh....

Public