Data Backup and Recovery

How to force SM-SQL to create a new dataset?

vanhees

Hi,

How can I force Sm-SQL to create a new dataset in Protection Manager? I am in a situation that I need to save the old data set for a while, but want to create a new data set.

Thanks,

Hans

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vanhees

Actually, I just tested this in my lab. What I did was just rename the existing data-set to "-old" or something and SM-SQL does not see a data-set anymore. After that I ran the "configuration wizard"  and SM-SQL created a new data-set.

I agree that you will not be able to restore from the old data-set using SM-SQL, this you need to do manually. But for this is enough.

Cheers,

Hans

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rmharwood

I don't think this can be done. The dataset always has a fixed name and SMSQL will use it if one exists already, or create a new one if it doesn't. Removing the dataset should not remove any volumes so you can still access the snaps, but you can't then use SMSQL to restore from them.

Richard

vanhees

Actually, I just tested this in my lab. What I did was just rename the existing data-set to "-old" or something and SM-SQL does not see a data-set anymore. After that I ran the "configuration wizard"  and SM-SQL created a new data-set.

I agree that you will not be able to restore from the old data-set using SM-SQL, this you need to do manually. But for this is enough.

Cheers,

Hans

Public