Data Backup and Recovery

NDMP Best Practices (OnTAP 9.6 or later)?

dplaflammeIBX

OnTAP 9.10.1 P3

Commvault (Simpana) 11.26

We have some CIFS-served file systems with millions of tiny files that are between difficult and impossible to backup using a Windows proxy to back up the shares as file systems. Encouraged by some past experiences with OnTAP 8.something and early Commvault 11 in another shop, I'm setting up NDMP backups for a comparison test. 

The NDMP configuration documentation notes that network firewall policies were replaced by network interface service policies starting in 9.6 and are deprecated in 9.10 and beyond -- but the documentation wasn't updated beyond that, so there's no documentation on what these service policies should look like. 

I'm also seeing NDMP act like it's single-threaded across multiple Commvault backup jobs (subclients). I'm using 

cluster-aware backups with the cluster SVM. Shouldn't there be a way to let multiple jobs run concurrently in different branches of the volumes' file systems? Surely a file serving cluster knows about concurrent activity, right? 

So, does anyone have a Best Practices document for NDMP in OnTAP at 9.6 or later? 

Thanks,

Nick

2 REPLIES 2

Oli71

insert-name-here

There is a current issue with Commvault support of NetApp SnapDiff v3 API on ONTAP 9.10.x. SnapDiff v2 has been deprecated in this release and it has broken so many implementations of Commvault with SnapProtect

Public