Data Backup and Recovery

Only "non-qtree data" registered in Protection Manager

storagedp

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating "Snap Creator" and encounters some problems.

I generated a snapshot through "Snap Creator" but it has only registered the "non-qtree data" in "Protection Manager".

I do not see the qtree when I try to do a restore through the "NetApp Management Console".

Log :

########## Creating Protection Manager Backup Version for volume vol_aptest dataset snapcreator_aptest ##########
[Thu Jan  3 15:56:51 2013] INFO: Finding all members associated with Protection Manager dataset snapcreator_aptest
[Thu Jan  3 15:56:51 2013] INFO: All members of Protection Manager dataset snapcreator_aptest Successfully discovered
[Thu Jan  3 15:56:51 2013] INFO: Added member XXXXX:/vol_aptest/- from dataset snapcreator_aptest to Protection Manager Backup Version

########## Running Protection Manager Backup Version Create for dataset snapcreator_aptest ##########
[Thu Jan  3 15:56:51 2013] INFO: Registering snapshot sc-daily_20130103155640 with Protection Manager dataset snapcreator_aptest
[Thu Jan  3 15:56:52 2013] INFO: Snapshot(s) for dataset snapcreator_aptest registered with Protection Manager successfully

What could be wrong ?

Best Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sivar

Adding the qtree (/vol/myvol/qtree) and the "non-qtree data" (/vol/myvol/-) ressources to the dataset, solved the issue.

Snap Creator doesn't list the qtree contained in a volume when you add the volume itself as the resource of the dataset (/vol/myvol).

I am documenting this and will also update the install/admin guides.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sivar

Could you please email me the below information to sivar at netapp.com

1) snapcreator .conf file

2) dfpm dataset list -x <datasetid>

3) snapmirror status (and) snapvault status  from the NetApp console

4) what do these qtrees contain -  cifs/nfs data or luns (fcp/iscsi)?

Thanks,
Siva Ramanathan

Snapcreator Sustaining Engineeer @ NetApp

sivar

Adding the qtree (/vol/myvol/qtree) and the "non-qtree data" (/vol/myvol/-) ressources to the dataset, solved the issue.

Snap Creator doesn't list the qtree contained in a volume when you add the volume itself as the resource of the dataset (/vol/myvol).

I am documenting this and will also update the install/admin guides.

storagedp

As a future enhancement, it would be nice that "Snap Creator" get the list of qtree in a volume when it discover a volume as the primary physical ressource of a dataset, to register all snapshots in "Protection Manager" without the need of adding qtree as ressources

Best Regards,

ktenzer

Agree I entered an RFE for this so hopefully in a future release this is fixed

Keith

avish

Hi Keith,

Have you got a response regarding the RFE? IHAC that just hit this problem as well in multiple environments...

Regards,

Avi.

spinks

Avi,

I can confirm that this RFE was entered, but it has not currently been scoped or assigned to a release.

Thanks,

John

avish

Do you know if there is a pre-script or plugin or some kind of workaround that can run in every backup in order to check for newly created qtrees and create SV relationship for them?

clilescapario

Avish -

I'm pretty sure the scope of setting up the relationships is better suited when the qtree is created. You might be able to also leverage the SC bindings to update the config?

Thanks,

--

Chris

Public