Currently, I have I have my production SQL servers running on physical blade servers in an MS cluster. We are looking at migrating the SQL servers to new VMs on VMware 5.1. I know that i have to split the luns into OS, System DB, User DBs, Logs, and SnapInfo.
What I am trying to figure out what are the pros/cons and best option of either using RDMs or VMFS for SQL considering that I have to account for SnapManager, SnapMirror, and VMware SRM in the design. We are currently building our NetApp infrastructure so I am not able to do a usability test. I am reading all the Netapp literature on these scenarios but it's kinda confusing.
- SnapManager 7 for Microsoft SQL Server
- SnapManager for SQL Deployment Guide
- Microsoft SQL Server and NetApp SnapManager for SQL Server on NetApp Storage Best Practices Guide
- Best Practice Guide for Microsoft SQL Server and SnapManager 7.0 for SQL Server with Clustered Data ONTAP
- Disaster Recovery of Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, and SharePoint Server Using VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager, NetApp SnapManager and SnapMirror, and Cisco Nexus Unified Fabric
- Deploying VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5 with NetApp FAS or V-Series Storage Systems