Data Backup and Recovery

SC - unable to drag a volume into SnapMirror pane

SPLUNKOR88

Hello,

I am trying to perform cascading and I got the snapshot to be taken on the primary then SV to the secondary. Lastly, I want to perform a SM from the secondary to the DR site. When I try to add the secondary NetApp storage volume (the source volume), it won't let me drag it over to the SnapMirror window.

The SnapMirror relationship is already setup between the source and destination:

Source:

ascnetapp1> snapmirror status

Snapmirror is on.

Source                Destination           State          Lag        Status

ascnetapp1:SC_ISO     ascnetapp2:SC_ISO_SM  Source         01:25:28   Idle

Destination:

ascnetapp2> snapmirror status

Snapmirror is on.

Source                Destination           State          Lag        Status

ascnetapp1:SC_ISO     ascnetapp2:SC_ISO_SM  Snapmirrored   01:26:02   Idle

ascnetapp2>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SPLUNKOR88

Thanks! Got it to work.

Had to edit the NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_UPDATE=N, then manually edit the cascading field. The cascading storage system should be the SnapMirror source/volume. Funny enough, when you make these edits and reload the config, it does not show this information under "Volumes" tab.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Arora_Kapil

Hi,

You need to enable SnapMirror update parameter in your configuration to be able to add SnapMirror source volumes in the GUI.

Kapil

SPLUNKOR88

After the failure, I noticed under my “volumes” tab, one of the rows got removed. This row was for the SnapMirror source.

SPLUNKOR88

I changed the "SnapMirror setting" to allow SnapMirror updates.

Primary backup (hwducsnetapp01) then SV to "ASCNETAPP1" and SM to "ASCNETAPP2".... not sure why it's trying to get the relationship status from primary. I want SM to check the relationship between "ASCNETAPP1" and "ASCNETAPP2"

Runnning Snapmirror Update using source hwducsnetapp01 ##########

[2013-10-08 13:10:13,991] INFO: Getting Snapmirror Status for hwducsnetapp01

[2013-10-08 13:10:14,704] INFO: STORAGE-02070: Retrieving SnapMirror status.

[2013-10-08 13:10:14,704] ERROR: STORAGE-03028: No Snapmirror Relationships found, check your configuration for [hwducsnetapp01]! Exiting

[2013-10-08 13:10:14,704] INFO: STORAGE-02071: Retrieving SnapMirror status finished successfully.

[2013-10-08 13:10:14,705] ERROR: SCF-00016: Snapmirror Status for [hwducsnetapp01] failed! Exiting

########## Snap Creator Framework 4.0p1 failed ##########

[2013-10-08 13:10:14,706] INFO: Pre Exit commands are not defined. Skipping !

SPLUNKOR88

Has anyone gotten cascading to work?

I have Snapmirror update to Yes and Cascading to Yes. The SnapMirror relationship has been created as well.

Under the "Volumes" tab, I should select my NetApp Snapvault destination and for the "SnapMirror volumes", I should be using my SnapMirror source, right?

Arora_Kapil

Hi,

currently, configuring SnapMirror cascade volumes is not available in the GUI .

For the SnapMirror cascade volumes open your config in a text editor and update the SNAPMIRROR_CASCADING_VOLUMES parameter, this must contain the secondary volume and controller.

I have never tried this myself, I will check with Snap Creator engineers on how exactly this needs to be setup.

I would think you just need to specify the SnapVault source volume and SnapMirror cascade volume and SC should be able to figure out the rest.

Kapil

SPLUNKOR88

Kapil,

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed inside the configuration file, the cascading field was empty. I manually entered the SnapMirror source (the SV destination) and volume but it was still failing. It keeps trying to check the SnapVault source instead of the SV destination storage system.

Regards,

Arora_Kapil

This is the explanation of the cascading mirro vols field:List of secondary controller and volumes where you want to perform a snapmirror update from snapvault source.

So I think it is looking for Snapmirror destination to be entered here, but I am not very sure.

I am trying to look into this and I will reply back when I have more information.

Thanks,

Kapil

Arora_Kapil

Please can you share your configuration with me? Feel free to remove all the passwords.

Kapil

Arora_Kapil

Please set NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_UPDATE=N and try again.

Thanks,

Kapil

Arora_Kapil

I would suggest removing your configuration as you missed to remove your vCenter password, I would also suggest changing your password immediately.

Kapil

SPLUNKOR88

Thanks! Got it to work.

Had to edit the NTAP_SNAPMIRROR_UPDATE=N, then manually edit the cascading field. The cascading storage system should be the SnapMirror source/volume. Funny enough, when you make these edits and reload the config, it does not show this information under "Volumes" tab.

Arora_Kapil

As I mentioned earlier Cascading SnapMirror Volumes is not present in the Snap Creator GUI, that is the reason you don't see it in under volumes tab.

Thank you for your patience.

I will really appreciate if you can set this thread to answered and close it.

Same for the thread you had opened for IP addresses issue.

Regards,

Kapil

Public