Data Backup and Recovery

Snap Creator 4.0 backup vSphere5.1 failed

appcomcnsh

We deploy Snap Creator 4.0 on Windows 2008R2 , it's fresh installed, plan for backup vSphere5.1 VM, but it failed.  error as

conf and log file already attached, Please help me check this, for this error, how to resolve it.

Other information: FAS6120, 8.1.1 7-mode, VM datastore in Vfiler,

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

ktenzer

Hi

Is the datastore exported in the vfiler? It looks like SC cant find the datastore in the vfiler. Everything must be in the vfiler, if you exported from physical contoller things wont work. Can you send the output from "exportfs" command from vfiler and also the mount path in ESX for this datastore?

Regards,

Keith

appcomcnsh

Hi

yes, the datastore exported in the vfiler to ESXi 5.1 Host,

Arora_Kapil

The reason of failure is this error:

[vmw-00169] Did not find export path for NFS Datastore tscdbm01!

This error is thrown when VIBE is unable to match any path from Controller nfs exportfs results to the datastore path in vCenter.

Kapil

appcomcnsh

Hi Kapil

So? How to resolve it?   Why have the error?

Previous, I install Snap Creator 3.6 in the this server, it's backup is successful, why 3.6 not report this error?

rmatt

The only piece of code that changed in the path was a move from nfs-exportfs-list-rules to nfs-export-list-rules-2.  I suspect that this has something to do with it, but I'd like to confirm.

appcomcnsh, can you run the following on your controller and provide the output to both?  I'd like to see if there are differences for the export rules returned associated to your NFS Datastore path:

priv set advanced

ontapi execute "<nfs-exportfs-list-rules></nfs-exportfs-list-rules>"

ontapi execute "<nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2></nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2>"

priv set

Thanks,

--Matt

appcomcnsh

Result as below, please have a look.

tscbjanp01> priv set advanced

Warning: These advanced commands are potentially dangerous; use

them only when directed to do so by NetApp

personnel.

tscbjanp01*> ontapi execute "<nfs-exportfs-list-rules></nfs-exportfs-list-rules>"

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>

<!DOCTYPE netapp SYSTEM '/na_admin/netapp_filer.dtd'>

<netapp version='1.1' xmlns='http://www.netapp.com/filer/admin'>

<results status="passed"><rules><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/ROOT/home</pathname><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/tklndmp</pathname><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/ROOT</pathname><anon>0</anon><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/htidboprd04</pathname><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/htidboprd03</pathname><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/htidboprd02</pathname><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info><exports-rule-info><pathname>/vol/htidboprd01</pathname><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></exports-rule-info></rules></results></netapp>

tscbjanp01*> ontapi execute "<nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2></nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2>"

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>

<!DOCTYPE netapp SYSTEM '/na_admin/netapp_filer.dtd'>

<netapp version='1.1' xmlns='http://www.netapp.com/filer/admin'>

<results status="passed"><rules><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/ROOT/home</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/tklndmp</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/ROOT</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><anon>0</anon><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/htidboprd04</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/htidboprd03</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/htidboprd02</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><nosuid>true</nosuid><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2><exports-rule-info-2><pathname>/vol/htidboprd01</pathname><security-rules><security-rule-info><read-write><exports-hostname-info><all-hosts>true</all-hosts></exports-hostname-info></read-write><sec-flavor><sec-flavor-info><flavor>sys</flavor></sec-flavor-info></sec-flavor></security-rule-info></security-rules></exports-rule-info-2></rules></results></netapp>

tscbjanp01*> priv set

rmatt

When I looked at the log, I didn't see /vol/tscdbm01.  Did you run this against the same export point?  If the change was against the vfiler, we would expect to see /vol/tscdbm01 in the ONTAP call but I didn't see it.  You might want to run the same command against the vfiler, but use ZEDI:

https://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/developer/zedi

I'm looking for differences in the output for those ONTAP calls (nfs-exportfs-list-rules, nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2) to see whether /vol/tscdbm01 is or isn't showing up in the --2 version but does show up in the original.

If you want connect to the vfiler and run the API call with ZEDI, that might be a better approach.  You can send the results directly to 'rmatt@netapp.com' that might help expedite the debugging process.  Thanks,

--Matt

appcomcnsh

I export it in vfiler,and also mount the datastore  from vfiler in VMware5.1,  so I think why it did't display in filer command.

tscbjanp01> vfiler run tscbjanv01 exportfs

===== tscbjanv01

/vol/tscbjanv01_root    -sec=sys,rw,anon=0

/vol/tscdbm01   -sec=sys,rw=172.16.5.0/24,root=172.16.5.0/24

/vol/tscdbm02   -sec=sys,rw=172.16.5.0/24,root=172.16.5.0/24

/vol/CDSRV      -sec=sys,rw=172.16.5.0/24,root=172.16.5.0/24

rmatt

The issue is we need to see the output differences for the ZAPI call to the vfiler.  Can you return those results with ZEDI against the vfiler?  That might give us a clue why it isn’t being found.  Thanks!

--Matt

appcomcnsh

Hi rmatt

I already download and install ZEDI, but I don't how to use it and get needed information as you said.  Can you teach me how to use.

Thanks!

appcomcnsh

1. My controller is ONTAP 8.1.1 7-mode,  so I need ZEDI for 8.1.1 7-mode?

2. I think, maybe for SC 4.0, I need config vfiler information in the configuration? right?

3. Are you have some example: how to configuration SC 4.0 for VMware 5.1 with NFS datastore mount from vfiler?

appcomcnsh

ZEDI collect information as screenshot, please have a look. If wrong, please tell me how to collect right information.

rmatt

Please re-run with the <pathname></pathname> and <persistent></persistent> deleted in the commands from the upper-middle window.  Your API results are skewed because it thinks you are trying to enter a persistent value when you haven't provided one.

Simply running <nfs-exportfs-list-rules></nfs-exportfs-list-rules> and <nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2></nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2> is sufficient without the input options.

appcomcnsh

I re-run with the <pathname></pathname> and <persistent></persistent> deleted, please have a look the result.

appcomcnsh

I try double export the volume in Filer, then SnapCreator 4.0 backup success. but I think that's not correct solution, right?

I also test SnapCreator 3.6, it's can find export path in vFiler and backup success. 

sivar

Hello,

Do you still need help with this issue?

Please let me know, so that I can connect you with the proper contact.

Thanks,
Siva Ramanathan

SnapCreator Community Moderator

appcomcnsh

Hello

Now I face the following scenario:

1) vSphere datastore use the volumes inside vfiler

2) but snapvault relation is created in physical filer.

Here are some question about snapvault.

1) where should we create snapvault relation?

2) could we still build-up snapvault relation in physical filer for those volumes inside vfiler?

Because the virtual interface and the ipspace has to be created on the partner node, and ipspace-name MUST be the same in order to make a takeover of this vFiler and its interfaces possible,

So I can't build-up backup IPs for every vfiler on partner node, I still want to use physical filer (only one backup interface) for those volumes in vfilers. is it possible?

I try to do following setting but no lucky.

VOLUMES=vfiler:volume

SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES=physicalfiler:tscdbm01

After SC finish backup, it will change the SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES setting to vfiler. (I guess it's related with discovery phase).

T-Systems P.R.China Ltd Shanghai Branch

ICTO/CSS

Tan Kailiang

Unit 1902-1904,Henderson Metropolitan ,

No.155 Tianjin Rd,

Huangpu District, Shanghai 200001 P.R. China

+ 86 21 6133 9082 (Tel)

+ 86 21 6133 9001 (Fax)

+ 86 13916709298 (Mobile)

E-mail: kailiang.tan@t-systems.com <mailto:kailiang.tan@t-systems.com>

internet: www.t-systems.com <http://www.t-systems.com>

发件人: Siva Ramanathan

发送时间: 2013年7月29日 21:31

收件人: Tan, Kailiang

主题: - Re: Snap Creator 4.0 backup vSphere5.1 failed

NetApp Online Community <https://communities.netapp.com/index.jspa>

<http://media.netapp.com/images/divider-600x3.jpg>

Re: Snap Creator 4.0 backup vSphere5.1 failed

created by Siva Ramanathan <https://communities.netapp.com/people/sivar> in Snap Creator - View the full discussion <https://communities.netapp.com/message/113890#113890> <http://media.netapp.com/images/divider-600x3.jpg>

Hello,

Do you still need help with this issue?

Please let me know, so that I can connect you with the proper contact.

Thanks,

Siva Ramanathan

SnapCreator Community Moderator

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on NetApp Community <https://communities.netapp.com/message/113890#113890>

Start a new discussion in Snap Creator by email <mailto:discussions-community-products_and_solutions-databases_and_enterprise_apps-snapcreator@communities.netapp.com> or at NetApp Community <https://communities.netapp.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2481>

Public