Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter _recent Naming Convention

TMADOCTHOMAS

I have found it immensely helpful to use the SnapCenter's plug-in capability to automatically rename the last snapshot with a "_recent" tag so that it's always named exactly the same. Same for System Manager's ability to rename the last one as snapshot.0. Yearly for DR exercises I know I can just create a plan that refers to the same snapshot name for clone creation. However there is one huge glaring exception - the main SnapCenter program and all plug-ins other than VMware.

We have literally hundreds of volumes we clone during testing, and because of this one huge limitation I have to go volume by volume to view the latest snapshot name and paste it into the command I've pre-built. What should take a few minutes takes over an hour. Has there been any consideration of adding this ability to the main SnapCenter program + plug-ins?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amccullo

Hello,

Only internal engineering groups would have information on features to be included in future SnapCenter releases.

The best course of action would be to contact NetApp Technical Support to initiate a case that contains a request for this particular enhancement.

Then the progress can be tracked via the RFE.

In the meantime, this document contains alternate naming methods:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/snapcenter/protect-scsql/concept_backup_naming_conventions_for_plugin_for_sql.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

amccullo

Hello,

Only internal engineering groups would have information on features to be included in future SnapCenter releases.

The best course of action would be to contact NetApp Technical Support to initiate a case that contains a request for this particular enhancement.

Then the progress can be tracked via the RFE.

In the meantime, this document contains alternate naming methods:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/snapcenter/protect-scsql/concept_backup_naming_conventions_for_plugin_for_sql.html

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks @amccullo . I've seen the doc but custom names are still different each day and the latest one is not a predictable name, which is what I'm after. I'll ping support. Thanks!

Public