Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCreator on Lotus Domino script examples.

rojas

Hi,

I am looking for examples of the scripts and what are capable of.

I have a customer asking question about the feasibility and what he needs to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Mauricio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

spinks

Mauricio,

The Domino Module in SnapCreator is based off of a frequently used script, but it is not a customizable script.

The Domino Module issues a dbcache flush and a drop all command to the Domino server to reduce IO before taking a snapshot.

You also have the option of entering PRE and POST commands to stop the Domino server to take an application consistent snapshot and then start the Domino server up again after the snapshot is complete.

We do have information on custom scripting with Domino, but this is outside of SnapCreator.

If you have any additional questions or need clarification on this please feel free to email me.

Thanks,

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

spinks

Mauricio,

The Domino Module in SnapCreator is based off of a frequently used script, but it is not a customizable script.

The Domino Module issues a dbcache flush and a drop all command to the Domino server to reduce IO before taking a snapshot.

You also have the option of entering PRE and POST commands to stop the Domino server to take an application consistent snapshot and then start the Domino server up again after the snapshot is complete.

We do have information on custom scripting with Domino, but this is outside of SnapCreator.

If you have any additional questions or need clarification on this please feel free to email me.

Thanks,

John

rojas

John,

Do you have additional info about this Domino Module in SnapCreator and the requirements?

I am looking for more details about how it works.

Thanks,

Mauricio

spinks

Mauricio,

SnapCreator's Domino module supports any version of Domino that is currently supported by IBM - This is currently version 7.x and up.

If you can let me know more about the customer's environment I might be able to provide more targeted information - Of primary interest is the operating system(s) used.

Generally speaking the module issues commands to the Domino console to reduce IO before taking a snapshot - the primary commands sent to the Domino console are "dbcache flush" and "drop all".  A snapshot is then taken.

If you or the customer have specific questions please let me know - I will be happy to help answer.

Today is a holiday in the US, so I am not in the office - I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have.

Thanks,

John

rojas

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your answer once.

This questions was triggered by a customer requirement

he has already a NetApp plataform installed

And he is using Lotus Domino 8.1 for e-mail and applications

The e-mail service is installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0

And the Applications (RP, CRM, Content Manager) based on Lotus Domino are working on AIX 5.3

Could we use these Lotus Domino Module on this scenario?

Thanks again

Mauricio

spinks

Mauricio,

I can not think of any issue with that configuration.

I should note that we have not completed formal testing with the Domino module on AIX 5.3, but I anticipate that it should work.

[SnapCreator itself has been tested, but not the Domino module]

The Domino module for SnapCreator does expect that a script is used to start and stop the Domino server in Linux and AIX.

All the customers using this module so far are using the Nashcom start stop script -This is freely available at:  http://www.nashcom.de/nshweb/pages/startscript.htm

Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

John

spinks

I came across this posting and wanted to update it.

SnapCreator and the Domino plug-in has been tested with AIX and confirmed working.

Thanks,

John

rojas

Hi John,

Is there any way to make a single message or mailbox restore from these lotus consistent snaps?

Thanks in advance,

Mauricio

spinks

Mauricio,

It is easy to mount a snapshot and use it as a point-in-time copy of your Domino data.

If using NFS you can just browse to the snapshot copy - If using FCP/iSCSI the easiest thing is to use SnapDrive

One you have the snapshot mounted you can copy the database to an alternative location (or if you are using flexclone you can open it up from the clone copy).

Open the database using the Domino Administrator client and you can copy/paste or forward a single email.

Hope this helps - please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

John

Public