Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for SQL 7.1 cloning database using FC block storage

MGONZALEZ29

We use FC block storage for connections from the SQL server to the Netapp SAN. I am in the testing phase of Snapmanager for SQL. Since I use block storage, I have a LUN inside a volume and the lun is setup via snapdrive. When we used Snapmanager to clone a database, we saw a new LUN clone created on the Netapp. The volume available space was cut in half as a result. 

My question is that if you use block storage and not NFS/SMB, does a database clone create a lun clone and not a flexclone off the volume? This is concerning for us since if this is true, then you could fill up your volume space if we create clones via Snapmanager for SQL.

3 REPLIES 3

deepuj

Hi,

when we perform a clone operation on any DB the flexclone of that volume , where DB is situated ,is created.So this newly created flex vol will have the same number of luns of same size as parent vol.when we delete the clone  of that DB this newly created flex vol will get deleted.Clone operaton doesnot use the space of parent volume rather creats a clone of that vol.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

deepuj

Hi,

Just to be sure

which version of ONTAP and mode are you using?

Do you have FleX clone licensed?

Are you doing this on a SnapMirror/SnapValut destination?

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

MGONZALEZ29

We are using 8.2.1. We are testing by creating a clone on the same database server but with a different database name.  I'm wondering if since we don't use NFS, the clone operation can't create another volume for the clone just like how in SnapDrive, I have to manually create the volume in Netapp System Manager before I can create the lun in Snapdrive.

Public