Data Backup and Recovery

SnapProtect download - Could you please clarify?

jcbettinelli

Hello,

I wanted to download the latest version of SnapProtect today.

I went to download "Core Packages" and here's the result:

I downloaded 10.0SP4.

Then I moved to "Service Packs" and here's the result:

Assuming that SP4A is the latest version, I downloaded it and all the minor corrections listed in the same download page.

Then, I assumed that there may be additional corrections in the "Minor Updates" section; here's the result:

Could you explain me why the SP5, SP5A and SP5B are listed under Minor Updates, and SP4 is listed in Service Packs?

I don't see the logic behind, if there's any.

Regards,

Jean-Christophe

8 REPLIES 8

jskinner

Hi, v10SP4 is a core package meaning it has all the binaries to do a new installation whether it be the commserve or new clients.

v10SP5, v10SP5A and v10SP5B are updates from v10SP4.

Meaning you can only update existing clients with the v10SP5* versions. To install new clients you would start w/ v10SP4 and download the latest service pack or minor update.

jcbettinelli

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand it, but how do you explain that SP5, SP5a and SP5b are listed under minor updates instead of Service Packs?

jskinner

v10SP5 v10SP5a and v10SP5b did not contain new feature support.

jcbettinelli

I agree, but these are still Service Packs, why can't they be listed under Service Packs?

Or the categories should be changed to Major Updates or Minor Updates. It is confusing.

jskinner

Understood.

Does the definition here http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/defs/snapprotect.shtml help?

jcbettinelli

Yes, it does.

But if my understanding is correct, SP4 and SP5 should be lister under Service Packs.

And SP4A which is listed under Service Packs should be listed under Minor Updates, like SP5A and SP5B.

Do you agree?

jskinner

SnapProtect 10.0 Service Pack 4A  added support for Infinite Volumes.

jcbettinelli

Nevermind.

Public