Data Backup and Recovery

SnapVault update issue

erpsourcing

Hello,

i have a problem with SnapCreator 3.4.0 and SnapVault update.

The debug error is:  cannot find storage executor for ch02na01 at /<C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4.0\snapcreator.exe>SnapCreator/ZAPIExecutor.pm line 200.

The job contains a SnapManager SQL backup on primary (ch05na01) with snapvault update to secondary (ch02na01).

Every filer (ch05na01 and ch02na01) has two network interfaces, the interface name  "Storage-LAG-302" on both filers  is dedicated for SnapVault ("options ndmpd.preferred_interface    Storage-LAG-302").

Here are some config snippets:

CONFIG_TYPE=STANDARD

SNAME=snapcreate

SNAP_TIMESTAMP_ONLY=Y

VOLUMES=ch05na01:vl_sap_erpsand1_db01,vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01,vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_RETENTIONS=daily:20

NTAP_USERS=ch02na01:root/*************removed***************;ch05na01:root/*************removed*********************

NTAP_PWD_PROTECTION=Y

TRANSPORT=HTTPS

PORT=443

SECONDARY_INTERFACES:ch05na01:Storage-LAG-302/Storage-LAG-302

LOG_NUM=10

SC_TMP_DIR=

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_UPDATE=Y

SNAPVAULT_VOLUMES=ch05na01:vl_sap_erpsand1_db01,vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01,vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo

SNAPVAULT_QTREE_INCLUDE=

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTIONS=daily:30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RETENTION_AGE=30

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_SNAPSHOT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_NODELETE=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_RESTORE_WAIT=N

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_WAIT=60

NTAP_SNAPVAULT_MAX_TRANSFER=

SMSQL_PS_CONF="C:\Program Files\NetApp\SnapManager for SQL Server\smsqlShell.psc1"

SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS=-svr 'ERPSAND1' -d  'ERPSAND1', '1', 'SX1' -RetainBackupDays 3 -lb -bksif -RetainSnapofSnapInfo 2 -trlog -mgmt daily

SMSQL_SERVER_NAME=ERPSAND1

SMSQL_32bit=N

Snapvault Status:

ch05na01> snapvault status

Snapvault is ON.

Source                                                           Destination                                                                                             State          Lag        Status

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_db01/-                             ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_db01/qtree                                                                Source         03:08:00   Idle

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01/-                             ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01/lg01                                                                 Source         03:02:08   Idle

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo/-                         ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo/snapinfo                                                         Source         03:01:57   Idle

ch02na01> snapvault status

Snapvault is ON.

Source                                                                                  Destination                                                                                             State          Lag        Status

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_db01/-                                                    ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_db01/qtree                                                                Snapvaulted    03:08:33   Idle

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01/-                                                    ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_lg01/lg01                                                                 Snapvaulted    03:02:41   Idle

ch05na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo/-                                                ch02na01:/vol/vl_sap_erpsand1_snapinfo/snapinfo                                                         Snapvaulted    03:02:30   Idle

What can be the problem?

I have found also this thread: https://communities.netapp.com/thread/17572  and specified the option "SECONDARY_INTERFACES:ch05na01:Storage-LAG-302/Storage-LAG-302" but with no success.

Thanks for any help!

Regards

Reto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

erpsourcing

Hi Keith

The snapvault update with MSSQL plugin is now working!!!

My solution is:

Add on smvi.override the follwing line:

snapshot.name.format.timestamp={backupName}

Add on SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS the parameter:

-GenericNaming

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Reto

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ktenzer

This error usually indicates a network problem

Can you ping both ch05na01 and ch02na01 from the Snap Creator server and also telnet to 443 on both?

All the snapshot relationships show up under ch05na01 so I see no need for SECONDARY_INTERFACES, I would comment that out. Also there was a bug in MANAGEMENT_INTERFACES in 3.4 so I would also make sure that is commented out.

Regards,

Keith

erpsourcing

Hi Keith

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, i can successfully ping & telnet 443 to both filers from the Snap Creator Server.

Additionally  i have tried to list the volumes of ch02na01 in the Snap Creator Gui and it also works.

I have no idea what could be the problem, it's very strange...

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Reto

erpsourcing

Hi Keith

I've installed Wireshark on the Snap Creator server and made network dump during the Snap Creator operation.

The capture file contains many requests to the filer ch05na01 (10.2.0.17/172.31.31.45), but no one request to the ch02na01 (10.2.0.16/172.31.31.44).

I think it is not a network problem and the error is before he wants to communicate with ch02na01...

Thanks!

Best regards

Reto

ktenzer

Ok a couple more questions are you using the MSSQL plugin? So is Snap Creator running SnapManager? If so what happens when you uncomment APP_NAME? So basically just run normal Snap Creator without any SnapManager?

What is Storage-LAG-302? I dont see it in snapvault, so it looks like you are using snapvault on the default interfaces, is this correct?

Another thing you can try is the latest SC code which is 3.4p2:

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/snapcreator_framework/3.4P2/

The error "cannot find storage executor for ch02na01" means SC couldn't connect to storage system which could occur for a lot of reasons, there was a bug with MANAGEMENT_INTERFACES fixed in 3.4p2 which could cause this.

Regards,

Keith

ktenzer

Also what happens when you snapshot a volume on ch02na01 with snapCreator? Does this work?

erpsourcing

Hi Keith

Yes, i use the MSSQL Plugin and would like to update the SnapVault destination with the SMSQL snapshot.

Good news: If i create Snap Creator job without MSSQL plugin, the snapvault update is working perfectly! 🙂

It seems that there is a problem with MSSQL Plugin and SnapVault updates...

I've upgraded the Snap Creator to 3.4p2, but still the same error.

You can download my Snap Creator configuration file and logs: http://giezi.com/netapp/

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Reto

erpsourcing

Hi Keith

The snapvault update with MSSQL plugin is now working!!!

My solution is:

Add on smvi.override the follwing line:

snapshot.name.format.timestamp={backupName}

Add on SMSQL_BACKUP_OPTIONS the parameter:

-GenericNaming

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Reto

ktenzer

I am really glad to hear this!

We are also working on a way to make integration of SMs easier in future release of SC.

Using SC to integrate SMs w/PM has become a popular solution

Regards,

Keith

Public