Data Backup and Recovery

Snapdrive issue on Windows Host

VKALVEMULA

Hi

we have installed snapdrive on windows host and tried to rescan for LUNs in snapdrive GUI, issue is we are not able to see any LUNs under GUI.

when I check under disk management i can see my newly allocated devices there.

19 REPLIES 19

MRJORDANG

I had the same issue before.

Did you create the LUN using SnapDrive?   If not, and you created the LUN on the filer, your disk probably hasnt been initialized and has no partition/file system on it.

If the above sounds correct, try iniitalizing the disk in Disk Manager then create a partition on the disk.   Then refresh SnapDrive and your LUN should show up.

If that doesnt work, make sure SnapDrive is configured with the correct credentials to access the filer.

VKALVEMULA

i created 1x50gb and 1x25gb LUNs on filer and assigned those LUNs to Win host.

i can see all the devices (2x50gb and 2x25gb - since dual paths)  under disk mgmt, i initialized them, assigned drive letter.

even after doing this i dont see LUNs under Snapdrive GUI.

also, after adding Filer name, IP add under properties tab, as soon as i do a refresh,

on filer i see the below error msg:

Thu Jul  5 13:09:12 CDT [Filer01: HTTPPool02:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication failed from x.x.x.x(ip add of server).

MRJORDANG

Great.  Sounds like your LUN's are correctly provisioned to the host as you can see them in disk manager.

It appears that you are having issues authenticating to the filer from SnapDrive.  Make sure your credentials are correct and that you chose the correct transport protocol.  You should also verify your permissions on the filer.  You can view/change your current transport protocol settings by right clicking the host name in the SnapDrive console and choosing "Transport Protocol Settings"

A way to test your "Transport Protocol" credentials is to walk through the SnapDrive "Create Disk" wizard.   You will need to provide the name of a storage system in one of the dialogues you encounter and it will tell you if your credentials are incorrect.  At that point, if your credentials are correct, you can cancel out of the "Create Disk" wizard unless you want to continue and create the disk.  Otherwise, if your credentials are incorrect,  you will need to correct the credentials in the "Transport Protocol Settings" dialogue.

VKALVEMULA

yup i can see now..

but the issue is.. when i gave my filer root username and password...

under GUI when i go thorugh Create Disk wizard.. i am seeing all my other production volumes.. instead of seeing only these 2 dedicated volumes

MRJORDANG

Yes....this is a big concern for me as well.   Do a search for the SecureAccess.xml file on the NetApp support site.   This file allows you to restrict a host and/or user to specific volumes/luns.   Depending on how your IT department is organized, the SecureAccess.xml file may or may not be sufficient.

earancibia

I was having the same issue the other day, I read somewhere (can't remember document) where cifs had to be enabled, so I enabled cifs and I was now able to enumerate disks in SnapDrive.

MRJORDANG

That sounds right...especially if you are using a Windows Domain or Active Directory (via RPC) authentication.   You can use a filer local account if using HTTP or HTTPS for filer authentication, CIFS not necessary.

VKALVEMULA

so we are able to see all the voluems because we enabled cifs at filer level

VKALVEMULA

also how can i check whether my newly created LUN ( thorugh Snapdrive GUI ) has dual paths

MRJORDANG

Verify dual paths through the DSM.  It is intuitive once you find the DSM snap-in.   You should see the DSM MMC snap-in in Computer Management (Windows 2003) or in Server Manager-Storage (2008).

VKALVEMULA

we dont have DSM installed .

our assumptions was that we can manage luns and pathing through snapdrive s/w.. is that not true

MRJORDANG

I was told that the DSM was required for MPIO (multipathing).   Version 3.5 of the DSM includes the Windows Host Utilities Kit.   I believe you were required to install the DSM and the Windows Host Utilities Kit for versions of the DSM prior to 3.5.

SnapDrive allows for management of LUN's but provides no multipathing funcionality.   The DSM is NetApp's ALUA enabled multipathing solution.

VKALVEMULA

so can i download DSM from now site for free or do i need to buy that too.

MRJORDANG

Are you using Win 2008 or Win 2003?

With Windows 2008, you may be able to use the native multipathing feature in Windows (without the NetApp DSM).   I havent tried this so please share your findings if you decide to go this route.    You can verify that it is working correctly by looking in disk manager - if you've provisioined a single LUN and see two disks in Disk Manager then you know the native MPIO stack isnt working.   That is a very rudimentary way of verifying MPIO - I dont know of any other ways of verifying proper MPIO with just the native 2008 MPIO feature enabled.

MRJORDANG

I know the DSM is licensened but I am not sure if it comes for free with all NetApp's.  I'd contact support if you have a current support contract.

A note on the 2008 MPIO feature - you may or may not need to do some manual configuration (within the registry I suppose) to get the native windows 2008 MPIO feature to recognize the NetApp LUN's.   Again, I havent used it but I can tell you that the native Linux MPIO apparently automatically recognizes the NetApp devices.   Again, please share any findings.

VKALVEMULA

we are on win 2003.

MRJORDANG

The only way I know of to get the MPIO stack on Windows 2003 is to install the Microsoft iSCSI initiator.  Sounds strange installing the iSCSI initiator on a host using FC but that is what I was told.  After that, I have no idea how you would go about verifying proper MPIO to you FC luns unless you install the NetApp DSM.

VKALVEMULA

can i donwload online from now site or do i need to purchase netapp DSM ?

MRJORDANG

I downloaded it from NetApp.   Keep in mind that we purchased the "full suite" of NetApp software so I know we are licensed for it.   I am not sure if it is offered for free or not.  If I were you, I'd try downloading it from NetApp.    If it requires a license, contact a sales rep.

Public