Data Backup and Recovery

Snapmanager Exchange - Restore fails 1st time round

gavin_meadows

Hi All,

I am testing database restores in a new DAG but the job fails the 1st time but then works on the 2nd time.

I am backing up the passive copy and then restoring it (point in time) onto the same server.  The backup is a full verified backup and I also select to verify the logs and database metadata as part of the restore.

Checked in EMS I can see the passive db (that I am restoring) becomes the active copy and both DB's are dismounted.

all goes wee but the last 3 tasks fail:

VSS port-restore in Progress

Starting database recovery after VSS restore

Completing SnapManager restore

the event logs show:

Exchange VSS Writer failed restoring a backup with error code -1086 when running database recovery after restore for database1

Exchange VSS Writer failed restoring a backup with error code -1086 when performing an integrity-check of the log files to be used for database recovery after restore for database1

Exchange VSS Writer failed with error code -1086 when processing the post-restore event.

If any databases were restored, they are likely in a dirty-shutdown state.

SnapManager for Exchange restore operation failed.

Error Code: 0xc00413ca

SnapManager detected the following Exchange writer error. Please retry SnapManager operation.

VSS_E_WRITERERROR_RETRYABLE: The writer failed due to an error that might not occur if another snapshot copy is created.

If I rerun the job then it completes but I then have to do a full reseed of the (now) passive copy.

I have tried this on 2 separate databases now both with the same results, has anyone seen this before?

here's the software versions being used:

DOT 8.1.2 7mode

Exchange 2010 Sp2

SDW 6.4.1

cheers!

1 REPLY 1

niyaz

Gavin,

Use VSSadmin list writers and check for the Exchange writer. Make sure the Exchange Writer is in stable state.

What version of SME are you using. Could you please use SME 6.0.4 and try the restore operation again.

Regards,

Niyaz

Public