Data Backup and Recovery

Snapmanager for Exchange single snapshot retention

rlfnetapp2

I was informed that we have to retain a specific snapshot of our exchange server for what may be a long period of time.  We use the Standard, Daily, and Weekly backup sets in our everyday snapshots to keep one week (with one verified snap) online at all times.  I have an appropriate "Weekly" snapshot taken at the time we need to keep.  Is there a way that I can tell Snapmanager to not delete this single Weekly snapshot?  We are on Exchange 2007 sp2 with Snapmanager 5.

Standard = three daily snaps, deleted after 24 hours

Daily = one nightly snap, delete after 6 days

Weekly = one weekly verified snap, delete after one week.

Thanks,
Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bjornkoopmans

Hi,

I suppose you can just rename the snapshot to something completely different. That way, SME won't recognize it anymore and leaves it alone.

snap rename -V [volume name] [old snapshotname] [new snapshotname]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bjornkoopmans

Hi,

I suppose you can just rename the snapshot to something completely different. That way, SME won't recognize it anymore and leaves it alone.

snap rename -V [volume name] [old snapshotname] [new snapshotname]

thomas_glodde

Hi,

if you keep that snapshot for a long period of time (like 6 month or so) you will end up with pleny of space needed in your snapshot space! maybe it would be a good idea to clone that specific snapshot and move its content (exchange database .edb) to a tape.

worst case would be a complete overwrite resulting in 200% of precious san space wasted 😉

Kind regards

Thomas

rlfnetapp2

Thank you for your responses, I will rename the snap for now and depending on how long I am requested to hold onto it, I can offload it to tape in the future.

Public