Data Backup and Recovery

Snapmirror LUN is missing Application Value

de_Marcel

We have a LUN running on 9.7 that is mirrored to a new Netapp with 9.11

The mirrored LUN is not accessable and checking on CLI shows that the only difference is "Application" Value.

The LUN created on a800 has: "Application: lun_test_d_SOME-ID"

And the mirrored LUN only: "Application: -"

How can I set/create an application for this mirrored LUN? The documented commands are not available. 

Or is there any other way to fix this? 

6 REPLIES 6

RossC

Hi @de_Marcel 

To help other folks whom might be able to assist.

What type of SnapMirror relationship did you use to mirror the LUN? 

de_Marcel

Hi RossC,

this is a Asynchronous Mirror. I've used this for normal volumes before but never for a LUN so I'm a bit lost here. 

Ontapforrum

Could you share the output of this command, just the concerend relationship?
::> snapmirror show

::> lun show (on source for the given svm/cluster)
::> lun show (on destination for the given svm/cluster)

de_Marcel

Attached. Formation is broken if I copy directly. 

I've created a new LUN on the new Netapp, and the only difference is that this new LUN has an Application set:

Application: lun_test_d_5789b740-fad3-11ed-ad3f-fdbc90478f55

That's the reason I think it needs to be defined. 

Ontapforrum

Hopefully, I am on the same page with you with respect to your initial query.

Are you talking about the 'Application-specific' LUN value missing? If, yes, then I just researched, it looks like this feature is no longer available post 9.7.

Applies to ONTAP 9.7 and earlier:
Application-specific LUN settings: LUN settings such as the LUN size are determined by rules specific to the application type. For SQL and Oracle, LUN settings are automatically created.

I think, b'cos the destination ONTAP is 9.11, it does not have this feature, it shows the application value as (-). Based on the application type chosen, LUN settings were configured in 9.7 and earlier. As this is no longer there, I am guessing it shows null. However, this should not impact the LUN accessibility? , of course, to make the LUN R/W you need to break the snapmirror relationship.

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-sm-classic/online-help-96-97/reference_application_specific_lun_settings.html?q=Application-specific+LUN+settings

de_Marcel

Oh sorry I wasn't clear there. English is not my primary language.

The Apllication value is only available on the new 9.11, it is created for every new LUN on the system but missing on the old 9.7. So this value is missing for the replicated volumes.

Yes, I already broke the replication, it did not make the LUN available.

I recreated the replication in hope that it changes anything but it does not. 

Public