Data Backup and Recovery

VMware restores using SC4

marks

Is anyone using SnapCreator 4 for vmware backups and more importantly - restores? I've tested it and found that the backup works well but restore functionality would benefit from some new features. I'd be interested to know what others' thoughts are on this topic..

Using SC 4.0 I've backed up an NFS datastore at the datastore level. I didn't drill down and select individual VMs.

The restore dialog asks you for policy (in this case DAILY) then the restore snapshot associated with the policy.

When you click OK, the restore is off and running and it performs a single file snap restore of the entire datastore without any further prompts. I have a few issues with this functionality, as follows:

• No restore should commence without asking the user if they are sure they if they want to continue.
  • A restore of an entire datastore is going to be a rare event unless you're in DR and the GUI should tell the user that this is about to occur.
  • If you did want to restore an entire datastore, you'd want to do a volume snap restore not a long-running and performance intensive single file snap restore. I know a VSR will lose any newer snapshots that exist in the volume, but the user should be given the option if possible to make the restore faster and reduce the performance overhead.
  • Ideally, the restore wizard should allow the user to select individual VMs or VMDKs

Mark

1 REPLY 1

ktenzer

My comments:

• No restore should commence without asking the user if they are sure they if they want to continue.

Noted I agree a stringer message should be displyed

• A restore of an entire datastore is going to be a rare event unless you're in DR and the GUI should tell the user that this is about to occur.

Agree but in SC you can restore individual VM or VMs or datastore. It is documented and best practice is to create a separate config for doing restores. You basically go through VM config wizzard and select VMs you want and then do restore, this needs to be more clear then it is today.

• If you did want to restore an entire datastore, you'd want to do a volume snap restore not a long-running and performance intensive single file snap restore. I know a VSR will lose any newer snapshots that exist in the volume, but the user should be given the option if possible to make the restore faster and reduce the performance overhead.

For vmware plugin we always do a single file restore, I think we can look into this use case more though but there are some real negatives with VSR in virtualized environments.

• Ideally, the restore wizard should allow the user to select individual VMs or VMDKs

Completely agree

Regards,

Keith

Public