Data Backup and Recovery

Virtual Storage Console 6.2 P2 - NetApp Storage Discovery Task Stays Queued

iventuresolutions
12,898 Views

Hello,

 

I upgraded to Virtual Storage Console 6.2P2 the other day and now I notice that each and every day I have a task in VMware that stays "queud up."  There is one form yesterday, and today, both stayed queued and I cannot cancel these.

 

I am running vCenter 5.5 Update 3D and our hosts are all ESXi 5.5 U3.  I have a NetApp 3240 running 8.1.4 7-mode.

 

The few backup jobs I have are running just fine, its just the task that is queued up is the problem.

 

I have attached a screenshot of what I am seeing.

 

Is this a known issue and will there be a fix?  

 

Thanks for your time! Smiley Surprised

 

P.S.  I made sure I followed the steps on "Removing vSphere Web Client UI extensions from the vCenter Server" that was detailed on page 10 of the "VSC 6.2 for VMware vSphere Release Notes" PDF

 

P.P.S I had to select a label for this post and I did NOT see one for Virtual Storage Console, so I just picked one so that I could move on creating this post.  Please ignore that as it isnt relative to this matter.

11 REPLIES 11

J_curl
12,623 Views

Same here.  Used to seeing orphaned tasks in vcenter from VSC, so I have learned to just ignore them (the VM guys love this).  

 

Very curious if there is a solution!

LouisHouse
12,360 Views

Any solution for this?  I have the same issue.....

asulliva
12,343 Views

Hello,

 

I beleive this may be the result of a stale entry in the VSC config file.  You can check the file "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\etc\vsc\vsc.xml" and see if there are any controller entries which are no longer valid.  If there are, make a copy/backup of the file, stop the VSC service, remove the entries, then restart VSC.  You may need to log out and back in to vCenter to see any changes.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

iventuresolutions
12,330 Views

Is there a particular section I should be looking for?  Our XML file is almost 10 Mb and contains a ton of data and sections.

asulliva
12,326 Views

I find it easier to navigate using something like Notepad++ so I can collapse elements.  When doing that, you can see the different root level XML nodes, you'll want to look for the controller ones...

 

2016-07-29 13_05_41-C__Users_Andrew_Desktop_vsc.xml - Notepad++.png

 

 

Expand each one and verifiy the information...you want to make sure they're valid.

 

2016-07-29 13_08_00-C__Users_Andrew_Desktop_vsc.xml - Notepad++.png

 

 

There will be three different kinds of "controller" objects, each one will have slightly different fields populated.

 

  1. The cluster(s)
  2. The node(s)
  3. The SVM(s)

The values in the XML file should match what's being show in the interface.  If you have controllers which are no longer reachable and can't be removed (like I did), you can remove them directly from the XML file.

 

2016-07-29 13_16_18-C__Users_Andrew_Desktop_vsc.xml - Notepad++.png

 

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

AGUMADAVALLI
12,324 Views

upgrade ontap and exi to 6.X GA - it will clear and they are number of errors encountered.

 

thank you

AK G

RN73
12,150 Views

What helped for me was reducing the number of server discovery threads from 8 to 1 in the vscPreferences.xml file.

 

I stopped the Virtual Storage Console service and edited the vscPreferences.xml file in "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\etc\vsc\", and changed the folowing line:

 

<entry key="default.server.discovery.threads" value="1"/>

 

Next, I started the VSC service again and the queued discovery tasks were removed and ran succesfully ever since.

iventuresolutions
12,103 Views

Thanks.  Yes, that worked for me.

shedlock
11,566 Views

Lowering the threads to 1 did fix it for me as well, which is interesting, since if i manually kick off a discovery, all scanned items complete, but the scheduled ones had 2 that would get stuck.  Thanks for the tip!

sisi2001rete
6,139 Views

I did it but without success for me... Man Sad

 


@RN73 wrote:

What helped for me was reducing the number of server discovery threads from 8 to 1 in the vscPreferences.xml file.

 

I stopped the Virtual Storage Console service and edited the vscPreferences.xml file in "C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\etc\vsc\", and changed the folowing line:

 

<entry key="default.server.discovery.threads" value="1"/>

 

Next, I started the VSC service again and the queued discovery tasks were removed and ran succesfully ever since.


 

 

Bernlo
6,016 Views

Thanks,

Worked for me too!

Public