Data Backup and Recovery

What are SC SQL backup types?

Nick4704

Hi All

The question is simple, but I still can't find the answer.

What is the difference between SnapCenter for SQL baclup types: "Full backup and Logs", "Full Backup" and "Transaction Logs". The let's add "Copy only Backup" option.

Can you please describe ste-by-step what happens during each backup type? I mean workflow.

When Logs are truncated, when they are not? What snapshots are created?

I discovered that druring Log backup, it copies logs to LogDirectory (SnapInfo), but does not create snapshot for Transaction Log volume itself.

I need ability to restore up-to-minute for 80 days, and I run out of 255 snashots for LogDirectory (SnapInfo). So if I had a day long transaction logs and full backup I need only one snapshot for one day. Can't figure out how to configure this in SnapCenter.

Thank you.

Nick

2 REPLIES 2

matte

Hi

you can have a look here

http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-40/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-con%2FGUID-454D4292-3ACB-4258-8D0F-FE99C269A3DD.html

then, shortly here for exchange:

Full Backup
- The DBs will be backed with log truncation .
- The truncated logs won’t be backed up .
- The logs above the checkpoint to the high log generation will be backed up by default anyway.

Full and Log Backup
- The DBs will be backed up with log truncation .
- The truncated logs will also be backed up which means all the logs (even the ones that will be truncated will be backed up )

As you can see Full Backup with “backup logs that will be truncated” is same as full + log backup.

Log Backup
- Backed up logs since the last log copied for that DB will be backed up.

Copy-only

This option to specify that the Server does not truncate transaction logs. You should use this option when you are also managing the Server with other backup applications

Nick4704

Hi

Than you for reply.

Can you please explain HOW it backups data?

From my lab environment it looks like:

1. Full backup - creates snapshots for data and log volumes

2. Full Backup and Logs - creates snapshots for data and logs + copies logs to snapinfo volume and creates snapshot for snapinfo

3. Log backup - copies logs to snapinfo, creates snapshot for snapinfo

Am I right?

I need to keep up to minute logs for 90 days and do log backups every 30 minutes (for the current day). I run into 255 snapshot limitation for snapinfo.

Can you please advice how to configure SnapCenter to workaround this?

Thank you

Nick

Public