Data Backup and Recovery

Workflow backup sequence with Oracle on VMs and physical servers?

jntballard

I am currently trying to coordinate the snapshot and SnapMirror replication sequence between Oracle on VMs, application on VM, and Oracle on external physical servers that are all part of an application that needs to be quiesced as close to possible at the same time to ensure a valid recovery point. 

I have been able to get everything to work as planned with the exception of triggering the SnapMirror update for the external DBs.  I can quiesce Oracle on the VMs, take a SnapShot of the VMs, quiesce Oracle on the external servers, but have not been able to figure out where I can place a config just to simply initiate the SnapMirror update for the Oracle DB that is on the physical servers.

This is the current sequence in the main config file (configs being called from a main config file):

APP_QUIESCE_CMD01="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB1_s2c_oak --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD02="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB2_vibe_OAK --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD03="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB3_vibe_ASPEN --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD04="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB4_scr_camel --action quiesce

APP_UNQUIESCE_CMD01="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB4_scr_camel --action unquiesce

APP_UNQUIESCE_CMD02="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB3_vibe_ASPEN --action unquiesce

APP_UNQUIESCE_CMD03="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB2_vibe_OAK --action unquiesce

APP_UNQUIESCE_CMD04="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB1_s2c_oak --action unquiesce

PRE_EXIT_CMD01="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB4_scr_camel --action unquiesce

PRE_EXIT_CMD02="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB3_vibe_ASPEN --action unquiesce

PRE_EXIT_CMD03="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB2_vibe_OAK --action unquiesce

PRE_EXIT_CMD04="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB1_s2c_oak --action unquiesce

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_CREATE_CMD01="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_camel_SM --action snap --policy hourly

I created a config that will trigger the SnapMirror update for the volumes that are related to the Oracle instance (running on the system identified as 'camel' above).  Since I already have a config that will quiesce the DB I placed this in the section on the GUI for 'SnapShot Create Command' - it will always error.  I tried placing it in other areas, same error.

I get the following errors:

########## SNAPSHOT CREATE COMMANDS ##########

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:04 2011] INFO: Running snapshot create command NTAP_SNAPSHOT_CREATE_CMD01 ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_camel_SM --action snap --policy hourly]

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:04 2011] DEBUG: Executing command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_camel_SM --action snap --policy hourly]

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:05 2011] DEBUG: Loaded Config File C:/Program Files/Netapp/NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework/scServer3.4p2/configs/SCRATCH_ALL/SCRATCH_scr_SM.conf Successfully

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:48 2011] DEBUG: Command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_camel_SM --action snap --policy hourly] finished with

exit code: [256]

stdout: []

stderr: []

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:04 2011] DEBUG: Executing command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_SM --action snap --policy hourly]

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:48 2011] DEBUG: Command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_SM --action snap --policy hourly] finished with

exit code: [256]

stdout: []

stderr: []

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:48 2011] ERROR: Command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_SM --action snap --policy hourly] failed with return code [256] and message []

[Thu Dec  1 19:28:48 2011] ERROR: [scf-00103] Running snapshot create command ["C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_scr_camel_SM --action snap --policy hourly] failed with exit code [256] and message []

Basically I need to ensure I can create the SnapShot and trigger the SM update while all the applications are quiesced.  I am assuming I am just specifying the config to trigger the SnapMirror update in the incorrect area.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

2 REPLIES 2

jntballard

After completing additional testing with the integration with vSphere; creating the configurations to quiesce, create NetApp SnapShot, and replicate using the ‘VMware vSphere’ plugin works great for all applications that are part of the vSphere infrastructure. 

Since I have additional Oracle DB’s that are not part of the vSphere configuration (on external host), is it possible to add the operations to quiesce and un-quiesce this configuration within a single profile/config  (I was hoping I could use the configuration created with the ‘VMware vSphere’ plugin adding the profile/config of the external Oracle DB in the sequence somewhere within the main config file)? I have specific startup/shutdown sequences that are application dependent that I would like to coordinate between the vSphere DBs and the external Oracle DBs  (that way I can take advantage of the PRE-EXIT commands, etc... in the event of failures)/

I tried adding the profile/config (i.e. APP_QUIESCE_CMD04) of the external Oracle DB to the MAIN configuration that was created as part of the ‘VMware vSphere’ plugin and, of course, as show above, did not work. I have tried adding the external Oracle DB profile/config in other PRE/POST areas, and of course, did not work (as most are intended to perform operations on the Oracle servers themselves, not initiate additional Snap Creator operations on the Snap Creator server).

Example of what I am trying to accomplish in single config file:

APP_QUIESCE_CMD01="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB1_s2c_oak --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD02="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB2_vibe_OAK --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD03="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_ALL --config SCRATCH_DB3_vibe_ASPEN --action quiesce

APP_QUIESCE_CMD04="C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SAP_DB1 --config SID_SCR_camel --action quiesce

Fundamentally, if there is an option to create a single config file to perform and coordinate all these operations I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Jerry

jntballard

Just in case anybody was curious, the easiest way I was able to figure out how to coordinate the shutdown of Oracle databases on VMware and physical machines and replicate a consistent environment to a DR system was to create a windows bat file that would coordinate the operations between the systems.  Basically with the following sequence:

1.    For VM1 - quiesce Oracle DB

2.    For VM1 - use VIBE plugin to quiesce VM

3.    For VM2 - quiesce Oracle DB

4.    For VM2 - use VIBE plugin to quiesce VM

5.    For physical server1 - quiesce Oracle DB

6.    For physical server2 - quiesce Oracle DB

7 .   On NetApp - create snapshots on DB volumes and ESX Datastore and replicate to DR

8.    For physical server2 - unquiesce Oracle DB

9.    For physical server1 - unquiesce Oracle DB

10.  Unquiesce VM2 (VIBE)

11.  Unquiesce VM1 (VIBE)

12.  Unquiesce VM2 DB

13.  Unquiesce VM1 DB

All applications that needed to be replicated at the same time (in conjunction with the physical systems) within VMware are on a dedicated datastore. 

Here is an example of what the bat file (called via Windows Task Scheduler):

@echo off

:: ####################################

:: ## Variables

set startDate=%date%

set startTime=%time%

set sdy=%startDate:~10%

set /a sdm=1%startDate:~4,2% - 100

set /a sdd=1%startDate:~7,2% - 100

set /a sth=%startTime:~0,2%

set /a stm=1%startTime:~3,2% - 100

set /a sts=1%startTime:~6,2% - 100

set _LOG=C:\NetApp\LOGS\SCRATCH_SAP_HOT_BKUP_%sdy%.%sdm%.%sdd%_%sth%.%stm%.%sts%.txt

:: ## VMWARE_QUIESCE

:: ## 1.  Quiesce OAK DB S2C

:: ## 2.  Quiesce ASPEN VM

:: ## 3.  Quiesce OAK VM

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_DB_OAK_DATA --action quiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_VM_ASPEN --action quiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_VM_OAK --action quiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 5

:: ## EXTERNAL ORACLE QUIESCE

:: ## 1.  Quiesce Camel DB SCR

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCR_DB --config SCR_DATA_REV --action quiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 10

:: # SnapMirror the DB and ESX VOLUME

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_REPL_ALL --action snap --policy hourly --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 10

:: # UN-QUIESCE External Oracle DB

:: ## 1.  UN-Quiesce Camel DB SCR

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCR_DB --config SCR_DATA_REV --action unquiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 10

:: ## VMWARE_UN-QUIESCE

:: ## 1.  UN-Quiesce ASPEN VM

:: ## 2.  UN-Quiesce OAK VM

:: ## 3.  UN-Quiesce OAK DB S2C

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_VM_ASPEN --action unquiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_VM_OAK --action unquiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_DB_OAK_DATA --action unquiesce --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 10

:: ## Archive Log Switch for DBs S2C and SCR

:: ## 1. Perform log switch and replicate

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCRATCH_VMWARE --config SCRATCH_DB_OAK_ARCH --action snap --policy hourly --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

"C:\Program Files\Netapp\NetApp_Snap_Creator_Framework\scServer3.4p2\snapcreator" --profile SCR_DB --config SCR_ARCH_REV --action snap --policy hourly --verbose >> %_LOG% 2>&1

TIMEOUT 5

:END

Public