Data Backup and Recovery

mapping SAN volume clone volume to linux system to recover data.

TechiS

Dear Team,

I have two SAN Volumes of 5 GB each

I created a mount point on RHEL 8.6 of 10 GB, copied data in mount point 

later i created clone of these two SAN volumes.

Now I want to map these two  clone SAN volumes to same RHEL 8.6 server and recover the same data, is it possible?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ontapforrum

I guess you should be able to do that. I remember done that in the past (snapdrive for unix days), but I am guessing if you are going to do this manually, then it may be required to change the Disk Unique Identifier/UUID before mapping, as the lun clone is a identical copy of the original lun. If you have a setup ready, please test it and let us know.

TechiS

Thanks for the reply.

How to change  the Disk Unique Identifier/UUID of LUN? Is it done from Netapp Command line? I see only below options.

Cluster 1::> lun modify -vserver City1 -volume vol1 -lun lun1 -
-qtree -space-reserve
-serial -serial-hex
-comment -space-allocation
-state -device-legacy-id
-device-binary-id -clear-binary-id
-device-text-id -clear-text-id
-qos-policy-group -qos-adaptive-policy-group
-caching-policy

Thanks

TechiS
Can I have reply on this.. I am curious to know about it. Thanks

Ontapforrum

I tested and was able to map both parent & cloned to the same redhat host. No need to change anything, it is automatically assigned unique uuid & serial-hex. screenshot attached. You should be able to read/write & copy off the cloned lun (it is mapped r/w).

TechiS

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked the screenshot, I can see that original LUN and Cloned volume LUN, have different serial -hex.

I am going to try it by myself and update the result here, give me some time.

Thanks

Ontapforrum

You should be fine without changing anything, as they will mounted as 'read-only', which is fine as far you just want to copy the data from. Give it a try and let us know.

jaikumar

Any lun clone or volume clone will result in new LUN with New Unique Serial Number and hence the LUN when mapped to the host will be seen as unique SCSI device.

Public