Data Backup and Recovery

snapcreator restore a single VM procedure

chao

Hi Gurus

I am sorry if I miss any previous discussing. I read the SC 3.6 IAG but does not make myself clear

Does snapcreator support to directly restore a single VM if NFS datastore?  the IAG said:

Virtual machine restores on an NFS datastore use Single File SnapRestore (SFSR) on the storage

system, which avoids host copies.

I think SC should support single VM restore but when I try to use action->restore, it just ask me provide snapshot policy and snapshot name. it did not ask me which VM i want to restore. Is there anything I missed?

Thanks and Best Regards!

TC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ktenzer

Yes you need to however update config and change from datastore to VM. The best way to do this is to change the VIBE_VSPHERE_NAMES parameter for operation and specify VMs. Optionally you could create a second config and use GUI wizard to update config and select VM.

If you change the existing config and remove datastore and change to VM then backup will only backup VM not datastore so you want to either 1) pass in argument to restore operation or 2) create an _restore config.

Regards,

Keith

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ktenzer

Yes you need to however update config and change from datastore to VM. The best way to do this is to change the VIBE_VSPHERE_NAMES parameter for operation and specify VMs. Optionally you could create a second config and use GUI wizard to update config and select VM.

If you change the existing config and remove datastore and change to VM then backup will only backup VM not datastore so you want to either 1) pass in argument to restore operation or 2) create an _restore config.

Regards,

Keith

chao

Hi Keith

I see. if I want to restore any single VM, I should modify VIBE_VSPHERE_NAMES and only left the VM (one or several) I want to restore. am I right?   I tried but met an "error".  the job is hung at "########## Restore handling for plugin vibe ##########"

Is there anything I missed?

BR

TC

chao

AH. after 30+ mns, the restore job is completed successfully.   I checked the debug log, there are many entries after "########## Restore handling for plugin vibe ##########". 

but it seems all entries are appended to debug log file after job completed not during the job running.  is it expected?

chao

Hi Keith

Because we put vswap in a dedicated volume,  could we exclude this datastore (volume) from a conf?

BR

TC

Public