Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Alarms and groups

dburkland

Is it possible to create an alarm that applies to multiple groups? Based on the way we have grouped our volumes within OCUM I have to create many redundant alarms. If this functionality does not currently exist does NetApp plan on adding it in a future release?

Thanks,

Dan

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Dan,

Creating an alarm at a global group level applies to all groups and it subgroups as well. Similarly if you create your alarm at a top level group its applied to all it sub group as well.

In this case you can either create your alarms at global group or create a top level group and apply it.

Regards

adai

dburkland

Hi Adai,

I have grouped my volumes as follows:

Sites/<Site Name>/<Filer Name>/<Environment>/<App>

Ex: Sites/MN10/filer1/Prod/Oracle

This has allowed us to easily report on these groups using OCR however it has made monitoring quite a challenge. It looks like my only options are:

• Maintain an additional group structure within OCUM which acts as the source for the OCUM alarms
  • Parse each OCUM email message and route accordingly

I was hoping the alarm email would contain the group(s) the object (say a volume) is a member of however it does not. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks!

Dan

adaikkap

Hi Dan,

Are you trying to create/route alarms based on site names ? If so pls create your volume full alert at each site name group level.

Regards

adai

dburkland

We are trying to route alarms based on application groups for example databases (Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase). Depending on if the database volumes are "lower" or "prod" we want to send the alerts to different email addresses.

Dan

Public