Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

CDOT: JunctionPath $null

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Hi all,

I have some problem with the build in command "Create Volume" (C-Mode).

My scenario:

1. Create export policy primary - works fine

2. Create export rule primary - works fine

3. Create volume primary (type rw) - works fine

4. Create export policy secondary - works fine

5. Create export rule secondary - works fine

6. Create volume secondary (type dp) - works particular: junction path is not set

New-NcVol -name xyv ... ... ... -JunctionPath $null

Attached you can find a screenshot of the attributes for the Create Volume.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hland

Hi Christian,

the code of the Create Volume command sets the junction path to $null (so it is not mounted into the namespace) for all volumes that are not of type rw. This is probably based on the assumption that you don't want to to configure access on DR mirrors. However, it is a best practice to pre-mount DR volumes so this should probably be changed in WFA, - I'll try to bring this up with the right people.

There are two possible solutions:

• Modify the Create Volume command. Note that this will make the command a non-certified command and you won't benefit from future improvements that are made to this command.
  • Add the Mount Volume command as an additional step to your workflow

Hope this helps

Hendrik

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

hland

Hi Christian,

the code of the Create Volume command sets the junction path to $null (so it is not mounted into the namespace) for all volumes that are not of type rw. This is probably based on the assumption that you don't want to to configure access on DR mirrors. However, it is a best practice to pre-mount DR volumes so this should probably be changed in WFA, - I'll try to bring this up with the right people.

There are two possible solutions:

• Modify the Create Volume command. Note that this will make the command a non-certified command and you won't benefit from future improvements that are made to this command.
  • Add the Mount Volume command as an additional step to your workflow

Hope this helps

Hendrik

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

Hi Hendrik,

you made my day 😉

I saw all commands but not the "mount volume".

I have tried to use the "modify volume" but it doesn't work.

Your solution works fine!!!

Thanks!

adaikkap

Hi Christian,

A bug has been filed in this respect, bug number 779918. Kindly create a netapp support case and add it to the same.

In the mean time pls use hendriks second suggestion "Add the Mount Volume command as an additional step to your workflow"

Regards

adai

shailaja

Hi Christian,

I assume you fixed your workflow by adding a "Mount Volume" command to the workflow. Did you do it after the SnapMirror initialization was completed ?

We have seen cases where an immediate mounting after 'dp' volume creation could lead to messages like:

f3270-208-238-239-240-241::> volume mount -vserver vs_name -volume snow1_mirror001 -junction-path /dataflake

Error: command failed: Volume snow1_mirror001 in Vserver "vs_name" is not mountable until a "snapmirror initialize" has been completed.

Thanks,
Shailaja

CHRISTIAN_UMREIN

I have the step mount volume after the create snapmirror command.

Sometimes when the snapmirror has not finished the initialization und must resume the workflow.

I have had this only twice.

Cheers,

Chris

shailaja

Thanks Chris for the clarification.

Shailaja

nthakur

Just curious. How big were your volumes? Will your workflow start failing more often if the volume is big and initialization takes longer? Something to consider and perhaps add "Wait for snapMirror" command in the middle.

Thanks,

neelesh

Public