Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

CONFUSED WITH DFM, ONCOMMAND MANAGER, OPERATIONS MANAGER

NAYABRASOOL

Hi Experts,

Its bit confusing for me to understand the difference between Data Fabric Manager, Operations manager , On Command System Manager. Can anybody explain me in detail about these and also advise which will be better to have it in my environment i already have DFM which is 3.1 Version  and please suggest how to upgrade this to the latest version as well.

Hope Operations Manager was a part of DFM then why both have different Consoles??? Please help me out to understand this.

Thanks

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeras

DFM was the original product name for the central management product to monitor multiple NetApp storage systems.  With version 4.0, DFM was rebranded to be known as Operations Manager.  Starting with version 5.0, the NetApp Management Tools were rebranded to be the OnCommand suite of products.  The product formerly called DFM/Operations Manager is now called OnCommand Unified Manager Core.  There are other products under the OnCommand product banner: OnCommand Insight was formerly called SANscreen and OnCommand Balance was formerly called BalancePoint.  The purpose of OnCommand Unified Manager Core is the same as it was when the product was called DFM: provide the ability to monitor multiple NetApp storage systems from a centralized place. 

As far as OnCommand System Manager, OnCommand System Manager (a.k.a. System Manager) is the replacement management tool for FilerView.  FilerView was the GUI for managing individual NetApp storage systems.  System Manager was introduced around the Data ONTAP 7.3 release to be a comprehensive GUI management tool for NetApp storage systems.  With FilerView, there was a specific URL for each NetApp storage system that was used to connect to the management GUI.  This wasn't a problem if you had a few NetApp storage systems in your environment, but having to keep track of the FilerView URL become a challenge if your NetApp storage systems grew in numbers.  With System Manager, you can manage all of your NetApp storage systems from a centralized interface.  Starting with Data ONTAP 8.1, FilerView is no longer available and the only GUI management tool for NetApp storage systems running Data ONTAP 8.1 or above is System Manager.

In summary, OnCommand is the overall brand name for the NetApp management suite of products.  OnCommand Unified Manager Core is the new name for what was once called DFM & Operations Manager and is your centralized tool to monitor NetApp storage systems.  OnCommand System Manager is the replacement for FilerView and is the centralized tool to manage NetApp storage systems. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

NAYABRASOOL

Oops My DFM version is 3.0.1

jeras

DFM was the original product name for the central management product to monitor multiple NetApp storage systems.  With version 4.0, DFM was rebranded to be known as Operations Manager.  Starting with version 5.0, the NetApp Management Tools were rebranded to be the OnCommand suite of products.  The product formerly called DFM/Operations Manager is now called OnCommand Unified Manager Core.  There are other products under the OnCommand product banner: OnCommand Insight was formerly called SANscreen and OnCommand Balance was formerly called BalancePoint.  The purpose of OnCommand Unified Manager Core is the same as it was when the product was called DFM: provide the ability to monitor multiple NetApp storage systems from a centralized place. 

As far as OnCommand System Manager, OnCommand System Manager (a.k.a. System Manager) is the replacement management tool for FilerView.  FilerView was the GUI for managing individual NetApp storage systems.  System Manager was introduced around the Data ONTAP 7.3 release to be a comprehensive GUI management tool for NetApp storage systems.  With FilerView, there was a specific URL for each NetApp storage system that was used to connect to the management GUI.  This wasn't a problem if you had a few NetApp storage systems in your environment, but having to keep track of the FilerView URL become a challenge if your NetApp storage systems grew in numbers.  With System Manager, you can manage all of your NetApp storage systems from a centralized interface.  Starting with Data ONTAP 8.1, FilerView is no longer available and the only GUI management tool for NetApp storage systems running Data ONTAP 8.1 or above is System Manager.

In summary, OnCommand is the overall brand name for the NetApp management suite of products.  OnCommand Unified Manager Core is the new name for what was once called DFM & Operations Manager and is your centralized tool to monitor NetApp storage systems.  OnCommand System Manager is the replacement for FilerView and is the centralized tool to manage NetApp storage systems. 

Hope this helps!

NAYABRASOOL

Thanks a lot Jeras , even a LAYMAN can understand this easily.

NAYABRASOOL

I have another question now shall i upgrade my DFM 3.0.1 to On Command System manager directly or i need to upgrade to a higher version of DFM and then i can upgrade to On command System manager please advise.

jeras

System Manager & OnCommand Unified Manager Core are two separate products and there is no dependency between System Manager and DFM or OnCommand Unified Manager Core.  System Manager communicates directly with the NetApp storage controller using the Data ONTAP API.  You can install System Manager and do not need to upgrade your DFM version. 

Your DFM version is a bit out-of-date, so you may want to consider upgrading that anyway, but it is not a requirement to run System Manager.

jascornell

Hi Jeras,

Can I quickly as if Unified Manager Core is for both 7-mode and cluster DOT ?

Regards

ShivRamagir

Yes, it can be used for both 7 & C Mode

JUNEWEN2008

Thanks. This is exactly what I want.

NIMIT_INS

Thanks

syedpeeran

In Software download, I can see two names, want to know difference between them

1. OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package

2. OnCommand System Manager

asulliva

OCUM Core is specific to version 5.x and, according to the download page, contains these components:

OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package Solution Components

• OnCommand console is the primary graphical interface to OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package.  It provides a single point of access to all OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package functionality for monitoring, managing, and reporting. This component is downloaded and installed with the Core Package.
  • DataFabric Manager server 5.2.1 provides the services and database for your OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package environment. This component is downloaded and installed with the Core Package.
  • Operations Manager console provides comprehensive monitoring and management of NetApp storage by providing alerts and reports, and includes performance and configuration tools. This component is downloaded and installed with the Core Package.
  • NetApp Management Console 3.3.1 helps you simplify and automate common data protection and storage provisioning management tasks.  It also provides a single location from which you can view and analyze comprehensive information about storage system performance. This component is downloaded with the Core Package but must be installed separately.

OCUM is meant to help you manage 1 or more NetApp systems from a single console.  This version can work with either cDOT or 7-mode, but not both simultaneously.

The downloadable System Manager is the GUI for managing a individual NetApp systems which have Data ONTAP less than 8.3 installed.  After cDOT 8.3 System Manager is on the system (you can access it by browsing to https://your.cluster.management.lif/).

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

GROOVE

So here are the shortcuts on my desktop - 

DFM for CDOT

DFM for 7 mode

Management Console for CDOT

Management Console for 7 mode

OCUM 5.2.1P1

OCM 6.3

OPM 2.0RC1

System Manager

OCI

Santricity Storage Manager

WFA

7MTT
System Analyzer

And now I hear we are going back to on filer system management ???

arrrgghhhhh....... 😉

The thing is they all have a lot of overlap , but all seem to have things the others dont.

Public