Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM 4.0.1 chargeback with FlexClones - how?

reide

IHAC who wants to use DFM 4.0.1's chargeback feature.  However, they're using a lot of FlexClones. The customer would like the chargeback report to be based on the FlexVols/FlexClones actual *physical* space consumption.  For example, as shown in the "aggr show_space" command:

Aggregate 'aggr0'

Total space    WAFL reserve    Snap reserve    Usable space       BSR NVLOG           A-SIS
       13GB          1400MB             0KB            12GB             0KB          7036KB

Space allocated to volumes in the aggregate

Volume                          Allocated            Used       Guarantee
demo_vol_a                           63MB            58MB            none     # Parent Volume
demo_clone_a1                      6428KB           620KB            none     # FlexClone Volume
demo_clone_a2                      6428KB           620KB            none     # FlexClone Volume
demo_clone_a3                      6428KB           620KB            none     # FlexClone Volume

(truncated for brevity)

Aggregate                       Allocated            Used           Avail
Total space                        2317MB           952MB            10GB
Snap reserve                          0KB             0KB             0KB
WAFL reserve                       1400MB           150MB          1249MB

However, DFM reports all FlexClones using *logical* space consumption, not physical.  It reports each FlexClone as using the same capacity as its parent volume. In fact, I can't find a single DFM report that shows a FlexClone's actual physical space consumption. Therefore, when they attempt to run a chargeback report each FlexClone volume generates a charge of 1x the parent volume.  In reality, each FlexClone's charge should be only a fraction of the parent volume.

Based on this, how can the customer generate chargeback reports based on actual physical capacity used for a FlexVol/FlexClone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Earls,

DFM today does not have a report that give the efficency due to usage of clones.

Below is a report that generates the same.Read the readme.doc first to understand what it is and how to install.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

adaikkap

Hi Earls,

DFM today does not have a report that give the efficency due to usage of clones.

Below is a report that generates the same.Read the readme.doc first to understand what it is and how to install.

Regards

adai

reide

Thanks adai.  This script is fantastic!  This really opened my eyes as to how custom comment fields can be leveraged to create custom reports.

adaikkap

Hi Earls,

If you are interested I can share couple of more scripts that we generated using script-plugin and custom comment field.

Regards

adai

reide

adai,

I would love to see them and I'm sure others would as well.  Thank you for sharing!

lederman

Does this also work in DFM 5.0 (On Command Core)?  I've tried to execute the script but I get errors.  Could it be because I didn't add perl to the OpsMgr server?

adaikkap

Yes, perl is required. If perl was installed after installation of DFM/OCUM, you will have to restart the dfm services.

Regards

adai

darraghos

What an awesome script! Really useful. So basically, it just creates a report then calls some dfm.exe command lines and parses the output based on the logic to find the additional blocks used as outline here:

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196986/html/GUID-868B8B03-C353-4296-B1FC-30AE8154AB87.html

Very cool!

Public