Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Does OnCommand Unified Manager 6.1 include Performance Advisor?

netappmagic

I use to work integrated Operation Manager and Performance Advisor as well as DFM. But, now I have OnCommand Unified Manager. In P.A, I can pull out graph on latency / throughput based on volumes / protocols. Can OnCommand Unified Manager do the same, or P.A. is additional component? Can sombody PLEASE tell me if it can replace Pefromance Advisor, and if DFM is included?

8 REPLIES 8

Adai

Hi 

The complete tool set for OnCommand Suite changed for clustered data ontap compared to 7mode.

OnCommand Unified Manager is a exception monitoring tool, with some very basic reporting and some level of integration with Workflow Automation for SnapMirror and SnapVault Management.

It does capacity, inventory and protection monitoirng but NO performance monitoirng or alerting.Also it doenst have many of the functionalites of OCUM 5.x or DFM 4.x that you may know in the 7Mode world.

OnCommand Performance Manager 1.1 does Performance Analytics and some basic performance data collection. The data collection part is availbe via some toolchest plugin IIRC.

It doest compare to PA 4.x and later, where you could collect the metrics you want, retention time and colleciton interval. But it does some awesome analystics and dynamic thresholding unlike the PA.

OnCommand Workflow Automation is a automation framework that kind of takes the place of Protection and Provisioning Manager of the 7Mode world in cDOt.

It does a lot of things and a very powerful tool. IMHO, its the only above par tool in OnCommand suite that brings in better functionalites than its 7Mode cousion.

If you roughly want to compare how a OnCommand Suite in 7Mode map to cDOT it would look like this.

7Mode------------->cDOT

Operations Manager----->OnCommand Unified Manager

Protection Manager------>OnCommand Workflow Automation

Provisioning Manager------>OnCommand Workflow Automation

Performance Advisor------->OnCommand Performance Manager

Regards

adai

netappmagic

Hi Adai,

Thanks for insightful information.

Based on the following link, the OCUM 6.1 is provided mostly for vApp.

https://kb.netapp.com/index?page=content&id=3014139&actp=LIST_POPULAR

Two followups:

1. Is Performance Manager included in OCUM 6.1 by default? how do I check and verify?

2. Can PM do the following as PA Can:

- Per volume ops/throughput/latencies?

- Per Protocol (NFS & CIFS) latencies?

-Top volumes (performance wise)?

3. Can PM select any time window to look at performance data/issues?

4. on OCUM 6.1 server, can I still run dfm command?

Adai

1. Is Performance Manager included in OCUM 6.1 by default? how do I check and verify?

No. OnCommand Performance Manager is a seperate deployment, also availabe  as OVA. Download the supported version of OPM 1.0 with 6.1

I am not sure.

Note sure though, I think you can go back like a Year or so. Check in the guides I may be wrong.

4. on OCUM 6.1 server, can I still run dfm command?

No. 6.x doesnt have any cli AFAIK.

Regards

adai

netappmagic

OK. then

1.  it seems that PM is not up to PA yet.

2.  without DFM commands, that'd be a big thing, IMHO. So, assuming OCUM 6.1 on CDOT is equivalent to DFM on 7-mode, does NetApp have any plan to get DFM commands back?

netappmagic

Could anybody please confirm I will not have dfm commands on OCUM for cdot. Is that correct?

KamilB

netappmagic wrote:

Based on the following link, the OCUM 6.1 is provided mostly for vApp.

https://kb.netapp.com/index?page=content&id=3014139&actp=LIST_POPULAR

True, for 6.1.

But you can have a look at 6.2 (already available). You can download RPMs and install them on RedHat Linux.

No, it's not, it's a separate product. You can use it independently or you can set up a connection between those two to be able to take a look at performance info from OCUM interface.

Yes.

No. For that you need to install and configure an additional tool (e.g. Graphite).

Or wait for OPM 2.0, which should include those stats in the OPM GUI.

No.

Yes.

netappmagic

It is very helpful.

Now, particularly, can PM or OCUM 6.1 allow me to set up thresholds on volume size, and then send out alerts?

It looks to me that PM has pre-defined thresholds on aggregates, warning 85%, error 95%, I can not change thresholds for aggrs, and can not set up thresholds on volumes. Am I correct?

KamilB
Public