Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Events Purge Interval

merdan1979

Hi all,

I have very old events in my event history in DFM ( version: 3.7.0.5432) - from 2006. My server is getting poor performance. How can I delete old events?

I found on NOW thay you can change the default value for "events purge interval" (under setup -> options --> events and alerts) of 6 months to lower period keeping the events in history. But if I would do that it would just take affect on the NEW events and not on the old events, so I am not able to delete the old events.

Does someone has an idea how I can delete in DFM the old events from history view?

Thanks a lot!

If you have good ideas or work-around you can write me directly to merdan.guendogdu@vodafone.com

regards,

Merdan

9 REPLIES 9

hiyer

Changing the events purge interval will delete old events also. The purging routine runs every midnight (0000 hrs) and deletes all events (except some that are required to

show the current status of objects) that are older than the period specified as the events purge interval.

For example, if you set the eventsPurgeInterval to 3 months, at midnight today, most events generated before 18th June 2008 (approximately) would be deleted.

Regards,

Hari

merdan1979

Hi,

thanks for answering. But we took as interval 2 weeks....and nothing before get deleted! Do have to change a config file or set other parameters?

regards, merdan

hiyer

DFM deletes only 10000 events in one run, so it is possible that most of them remained even after changing the eventsPurgeInterval. The number of events deleted in one run (by default 10000) is modifiable using the "eventPurgeMaxEvents" hidden option. I would suggest you set this to a larger value using:

"dfm option set eventPurgeMaxEvents=100000"

or some such value.

I would suggest you record the number of events to see if the deletion succeeds. You can use:

dfm report view events-history | wc -l

on Linux/Solaris

or

dfm report view events-history | find /c /v "mxzyptlk"

on windows

to see the current count of events in the database.

You can check the number of events, set the option as specified, and then check the number of events again the next day to see if events are getting deleted.

merdan1979

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help!!!

We changed the settings to the values you gave us. I can inform you tomorrow if it worked!!!

Many thanks again!

regards,

merdan

merdan1979

Hi,

the old events did not get deleted.

regards,

merdan

hiyer

Hi Merdan,

It seems to me that we are probably dealing with a bug here. I would suggest you open a case with NetApp support on this.

Regards,

Hari

hiyer

Additionally, please restore the default value of eventPurgeMaxEvents as:

dfm option set eventPurgeMaxEvents=10000

merdan1979

Hi Hari,

okey, we will restore to the default value and open a case.

Again, thank your for your support/efforts.

regards,

merdan

asdfsdf

I don't normally revive threads this old...but I'm fighting with a similar situation - Merdan did you get this one figured out?

Public