Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Filter for DFM server

rogerhinson

Hey all,

I have a workflow for 7-Mode from WFA 1.1 that used find charts.  I'm creating an updated workflow in WFA 2.2 that refreshes the DFM server related to the array that I'm creating a new volume on.

In WFA 1.1, it used a filter in the find chart to run the filter "DFM_Server".  In WFA 2.2, I can't figure out where I can run that same filter.  The "refresh monitors on array" command doesn't allow any filters, and the "No-Op Storage" command doesn't have an area for DFM.

I think I could create my own custom command that just runs that filter, but am chacking if someone has a better idea.  Hopefully using certified commands.

Thanks,

Roger

3 REPLIES 3

geringer

Roger,

In looking at the code for "refresh monitors on array", it looks like you only need to provide that command with the DFMserver name, array name, and set the $RefreshFileSystems variable to true.  This should trigger the DFM server to refresh all of the volume and qtree data for that array.  If all you need is the volume object to be in the WFA cache database, you can use reservations and a certified create volume command to ensure the volume name is in the WFA database as well.

Mike

rogerhinson

Thanks Mike,

My problem is that I have about 7 DFM servers and depending on the location of the filer, I need to use a different DFM server.  The variable set from my "DFM_Server" filter is used to set that DFMServer name field in the refresh command.

For now, I've created a hard-coded function that says "If this part of the datacenter, then this DFM server", but if we modify the environment, it's going to break.

I'm also waiting for the next version of WFA to create my own certified commands to work around some problems like this.

Thanks,

Roger

geringer

Roger,

If you are using "Resource Pools" or "Resource Groups" in DFM, and a group or pool is unique to one DFM server, I think we can get this done without a custom dictionary.  Storage.Resource_Group.dfm_name is in the dfm cache database, as is Storage.Resource_Pool.dfm_name.  If you are using resource Groups, I would need to know if you are grouping (Aggregates, Arrays, vFilers or Volumes), to determine how to create the filter or finder.  If you are not using Resource Pools or Groups, we may be able to create a more manageable reference for Array to DFM server with a custom dictionary, and data source that queries dfm servers to get the discovered arrays.

Mike 

Public