Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Got Pure? Got OCI?

ostiguy

Hey all,

OCI engineering is working on developing Pure Storage support for OCI. We are always interested in discovering as many configurations as early as possible to refine our approach.

We are at the point where we have what we call a standalone datasource - basically, a Windows batch script that calls enough Java code to collect data from a device (in this case, via Pure's REST API), and build a zip file

If you are interesting in helping us move this project along by running this read only tool, ping me at ostiguy at netapp dot com.

Matt

15 REPLIES 15

hariprak

Great, thank you for sharing this information. Hope interested folks will definitely contact you.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ostiguy

Hey all,

We are in our next phase - if you are running OCI 7.1.0, we have a drop in patch to OCI that will add Pure inventory support to OCI. If you are interested, ping me.

We will in parallel fix any issues we find in this beta, as well as starting work on performance support for Pure

Matt

Hanky

Does the patch apply to 7.0.2? How can we get it?

ostiguy

Unfortunately, it does not.

There is a lot of overhead for us to run a beta datasource on multiple OCI versions (OCI 7.0.x and 7.1.x as examples), so we try to avoid it. Adding to that is our intent to do performance support shortly. Right now, I don't think we have plans to port this to 7.0.x, but I think if we were to, we'd want to wait until both Inventory and Perform support were fairly mature.

Matt

ostiguy

FYI, we have been steadily making progress, and we have inventory and performance support for Pure available as a beta patch for OCI 7.1.x.

Pure's REST API for performance is somewhat thin - mainly volume stats, and storage level stats, so nothing currently for disk or node statistics.

On the inventory side, we are pretty much there - we have customers seeing paths, as mapping and masking is good. Thin provisioning numbers look solid. Storage alias reporting is implemented for auto resoluton of hosts.

Matt

ostiguy

FYI, we have been steadily making progress, and we have inventory and performance support for Pure available as a beta patch for OCI 7.1.x.

Pure's REST API for performance is somewhat thin - mainly volume stats, and storage level stats, so nothing currently for disk or node statistics.

On the inventory side, we are pretty much there - we have customers seeing paths, as mapping and masking is good. Thin provis

Guest-007

Matt,

Can you post a screenshot of the integraiton? That woudl be awesome.

ostiguy

This is 97% of what you should see with the current Pure support in OCI, and as it will ship in the next OCI 7.1.x maintenance release and data source service pack.

This is a scrubbed screenshot, but it shows a bug where the array throughput numbers are preposterous - we were reporting bytes per sec as MBps, thus the ludicrous throughput. This bug has been fixed.

From a performance standpoint, we are only able to get volume and some array level stats - no disk stats, and no controller utilization stats.

This is a REST API datasource - OCI just needs read only credentials, and HTTPS connectivity to the array - create one datasource per Pure array. Honestly, we haven't really run into an Pure array yet we don't support - we have seen a mix of 4.0.x through 4.5.x firmware work.

pal

Hi Matt,

i would like to test the pure in oci,

how to obtain the patch ?

ostiguy

What version of OCI are you running?

One option is to wait until Thursday of next week, when

OCI 7.1.2

Data Source Service Pack 2 for OCI 7.1.[0-1]

are released, which if you upgrade to / install will give OCI 7.1.x Pure support.

Email me at ostiguy at netapp dot com if you have OCI 7.1.x deployed, and want the Pure bits to manually add today

Thanks

Matt

ostiguy

Hey all,

OCI 7.1.2 will ship tomorrow, with Pure FC support.

We are doing a little extension work to additionally add iSCSI support.

If you are using iSCSI on Pure, and want to work towards support in OCI, ping me at ostiguy at netapp dot com

Matt

ferntjsf

How can I get this patch?

ostiguy

Upgrade to OCI 7.1.2, or if you are on OCI 7.1.0 or 7.1.1, install the appropriate build of Data Source Service Pack 2 for 7.1.x

Either of these approaches will allow creation of Pure datasources on OCI 7.1.x

pippen23

We also need this patch, where can I get this ? we are running OCI 7.2 BTW...

ostiguy

Pure Storage support exists out of the box with OCI 7.2.0 - create a new datasource, and you should have Pure as a vendor.

Public