Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Graphs for items that Performance Manager doesn't do

rwelshman

OnCommand Performance Manager has a fairly limited scope in terms of what performance it actually manages. Apparently it does capture the statistics but just doesn't show them. Despite the interface being pretty awkward to use in general, it would be nice if the range of graphs was expanded similar to what is available for 7mode.

That aside, the recommendation is to use a third party system to pull the data from Performance Manager over API, for example Graphite. I'm wondering if anyone out there has setup Graphite for this purpose or have used other tools (if so, any in particular)? I was hoping to be able to see the traffic on a network interface, something that I had thought would be quick and easy, but setting up yet another tool is a bit of a speed bump.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13

rwelshman

Thanks Sean. I'll reference your site and try setting it up.

ijm2024

Does OCPM work w/7-mode to collect performance stats?

jweihs

OnCommand Performance Manager collects data only from clustered data ONTAP systems. However, there are two ways to get performance counters into Graphite (or any 3rd party monitoring tool):

* API feed from Performance Manager - benefit - best quality metrics due to proprietery counter post processing not available through ZAPI

* Collect counters from cluster using ZAPI and push into Graphite

Our solution for customers using both 7-mode and Clustered data ONTAP uses both options concurrently so that in Graphite you are able to see metrics for your entire NetApp estate.

This can be put together by customers today. What we are working on is a simplified pre-packaging of the above - allowing "quick start".

Best,

Yossi

rwelshman

Was able to configure Graphite using the site suggested. Iptables was running on the server, so I had to allow access to port 80 and port 2003 (the default port that carbon listens to for the data from perf mgr).

jweihs

Hello

We are working on putting together a simple to deploy solution guide to chart counters beyond these shown in Performance Manager. This will be based on Graphite and Grafana. We are seeking "beta testers" for this guide. We will be packaging all the required bits in a simple to deploy way for customers to download from the toolbox site, this is planned for summer 2015 timeframe.

Best regards,

Yossi

rwelshman

Thanks Yossi, I'll keep an eye out for that.

marco_leeflang

Hi Yossi,

We are working on putting together a simple to deploy solution guide to chart counters beyond these shown in Performance Manager. This will be based on Graphite and Grafana. We are seeking "beta testers" for this guide.

Still seeking beta testers for this guide?

Best regards,

Marco

jweihs

Hello Marco

Yes we are! Our tech writer assigned to the project had to go on a medical leave, so I expect to have something for review in the July timeframe.

Best regards,

Yossi

GROOVE

Is there any movement on this ? Did the package get built ?

If not are you still looking for Beta testers ?

Since moving to CDOT throughout there are certainly things we feel blind to compared to our old 7 estate when it comes to performance. OPM looks pretty , but is severely lacking in its current form.

niels

Did you already upgrade your OPM to version 2.0?

It has come along way from 1.x and might fullfill (most of) your needs.

If that is not sufficient, the data export to Graphte is still available.

You'd need to spin up your own Graphite instance though at this time.

The Graphite vApp that we plan to release to the Tool Chest is stuck in code review.

regards, Niels

systemsengineering

Hi, is the tool now available? I will check the tool site.

Rob

jweihs

Hello

The guide is slated to come out in 5-6  weeks. We'll have a draft ready for a review in 2-3 weeks. Please reply to me directly if you'd like to see an early version.

Yossi

Public