Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Hot adding DS14mk2 to existing FAS3140A with multipathed DS14mk4s

druddle00

Hello

I have a FAS3140 that has 4 trays (2 per head) of DS14mk4 disk shelves with ESH4 modules.  It is configured in a multipathed back end loop configuration.

I want to hot add 2 more DS14mk2 disk trays with ESH2 modules in (compatibility matrix says this is OK on the same loop) to each filer head, but I cant find any information anywhere that tells me a procedure for doing this.  I was thinking I can do a cluster failover, and then add the shelves to the filer that is down, but I dont know how the multipathing will affect behaviour, and have been given warnings about doing this, that it can go horribly wrong !

Can anyone help ?

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

netappnasadmin

Hi druddle,

If your controllers have the  PCI slots with free ports then you can add the DS14mk2 & start new loop from there.

Thanks

Naveen.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

druddle00

Hi Radek

My DS14Mk4s are running at 4Gb/s so it seems i cant hot add DS14mk2s to the same back end loop, as I need to set the ESH4s to run at 2Gb/s and I cant do that when the shelves are running.  I have to shut down both filer heads (according to Netapp).

Thanks for the link though, thats very useful.

Dave

pascalduk

Do you perhaps have free fc connections on your head? You can start new loops without down time, even

in a cluster.

Note that for new loops you need fibre cables and sfp's.

netappnasadmin

Hi druddle,

If your controllers have the  PCI slots with free ports then you can add the DS14mk2 & start new loop from there.

Thanks

Naveen.

druddle00

Unfortunately there are no free FC ports to use.

Dave

adamfox

Download the DS14 shelf manual. Look in Appendix A. There is the documented procedure. Tech Support should also be able to help as well.

-- Adam Fox

amiller_1

Bother....if no free FC ports then you will need to drop the loop speed down to 2 Gig which is disruptive.

Also, for disk shelf adds on MPHA loops the largest thing to me that's different from a regular shelf add is making sure to disable the "cluster failover on disk shelf miscompare" setting (as the cabling during an MPHA shelf add takes longer you will likely go beyond the 15 second default value there).

Public