Data Infrastructure Management Software Discussions

Re: How do I change the administrative host for a vFiler in System Manager?

This is from my Insight labs   I prefer not to run setup again since it does whack a bunch of files...  editing exports and hosts.equiv is my preferred method to cause less disruption.

The final update to the MultiStore lab guides...all updates up to 8.1 with the fas6280_vfiler1 instead of fas6080_vfiler1 in this update.. We retired these since there won't be much change with vFiler features... the cool thing in 8.1 is interactive ssh direct to a vFiler and some other tricks I added in the management and appendix sections.  For those with lab on demand access, the lab with supporting VMs is also available there.

Thanks Scott!  What do you mean that setup 'whacks a bunch of files"?

If I edit the exports file in the vFiler's etc folder, I know I can run exportfs to activate the changes.  However, if I update hosts.equiv, how do I activate those changes?  As an aside, do I even need hosts.equiv?  We only connect to our filers via Windows boxes.  The ones I've looked at so far are blank, but I can administer the c$ share anyway.

The setup command will always update/clear out hosts, hosts.equiv, exports, resolv.conf… see in the lab..

no need for it... but changes are immediate to hosts.equiv...no loading of the file needed.

Highlighted

Thanks Scott.  I couldn't see info on the files in the lab guide. 

Based on your comments, I may try the exports approach as it sounds safer.  So it would be fine to just update exports and not hosts.equiv?

Interesting timing, as I am taking the online Multistore class this Monday!

if you don't need hosts.equiv then no need to update it..

OK thanks.  I think I will definately try the exports update approach.

Forums