Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to access DFPM commands in OVF deployed OCUM

apawar

Hi,

I have installed OCUM 6.0 as OVF on my vmware workstation. It works well, I am able to manage the Dataset and Resourse Pool and VSERVERs with no issues.

All I want to know is - How do I use - DFPM commands , for ex - dfpm dataset list etc.

When I login to OCUM - It takes me to Maitenance Screen, I tried creating a user in OCUM GUI as OCUM administrator, but when I login it keeps saying 'Access Denied'.

Is there anything I am missing here.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

niels

Hi Ashwin,

no, you misunderstood.

WFA just provides the data protection integration to UM6.x to get similar functionality as you had with Protection Manager for 7mode. The combination of those tools by itself does not give you any UM6.x CLI capability.

The first Unified Manager release in the 6.x code stream that supports CLI is UM6.3. And the CLI commands start with "um" and not with "dfm".

Prior versions only have support for web UI or API.

What is that you try to achive?

Just saw that you already described what you want to do 😉

With cDOT and Unified Manager 6 there is such no concept as "datasets".

You directly manage SnapMirror or SnapVault relationships on the volume level.

I can see from your questions that you seem to be familiar with 7mode.

Do you just want to understand how to manage a cDOT data protection environment or do you actually have one besides your 7mode?

Kind regards, Niels

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

niels

Hi Ashwin,

unfortunately there are no DFPM commands in OCUM 6.x

Unified Manager 6.x is for managing and monitoring Clustered Data ONTAP systems only and it does not have a Protection Manager-like functionality as you may know it from Unified Manager 5.x (a.k.a. Operations Manager a.k.a. DFM).

As Clustered ONTAP is based on totally different concepts compared to 7-mode, so does UM6.x use different concepts in managing such systems compared to UM5.x.

If your intention is to manage Data Protection with Clustered Data ONTAP systems, please use Unified Manager 6.3 in combination with WFA 3.1.

Again - it's not an equivalent to UM5.x Protection Manager as the management concepts differ, but comes close.

If you have a 7-mode environemnt, you need to stick to UM5.x.

Kind regards, Niels

apawar

Hi Neils,

Thanks for this information, so I will need WFA install along with 6.3 OCUM to use DFM command line ?

I was wondering how can we delete dataset information or for that sake, delete a relationship with in the dataset. Fo ex- In version 5, we could simply use commands such as - dfpm dataset relinquish etc.

Can we not do the same stuff from the GUI ?

Thanks,

-Ashwin

niels

Hi Ashwin,

no, you misunderstood.

WFA just provides the data protection integration to UM6.x to get similar functionality as you had with Protection Manager for 7mode. The combination of those tools by itself does not give you any UM6.x CLI capability.

The first Unified Manager release in the 6.x code stream that supports CLI is UM6.3. And the CLI commands start with "um" and not with "dfm".

Prior versions only have support for web UI or API.

What is that you try to achive?

Just saw that you already described what you want to do 😉

With cDOT and Unified Manager 6 there is such no concept as "datasets".

You directly manage SnapMirror or SnapVault relationships on the volume level.

I can see from your questions that you seem to be familiar with 7mode.

Do you just want to understand how to manage a cDOT data protection environment or do you actually have one besides your 7mode?

Kind regards, Niels

apawar

Hi Neils,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Yes, you are right. With 7 mode , and DFM [OUCM5.x] it was as easy as go to command prompt and type : DFM and you get to see complete list of command, and you can manage your datasets using 'DFPM' commands.

With cDOT, I am able to manage Resource Pool, Dataset, VSERVERS and it's association, I was just wondering if we had similar CLI as we had with 7-mode.

OCUM 6.3 installable for VMWARE was easy peasy installation and I can point the browser to  IP address of the OCUM and I see the OUCM Login screen and all works fine. If I ssh to IP address, I get a screen Welcome to  OCUM Maitenance console.

My questions are answeresd so thanks for clearing the confusion out.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

Public