Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to create a custom alert/report based on an exception

emanuel

Hello everyone

I am trying to create a custom report/alarm with in DFM to trigger off as an exception; the exception is snapshot retention period.

We have a number of volumes that should have a standarized snap schedule, but a few of them do not and we need an automated method that can be embedded in DFM that will alert us if a volume falls out of our minimal requirement.

our main trigger for this is nightly snapshots; my pesudo expression is: if nightly are less than 5, then send alert.

I have a custom report already made but it would be nice to have it fire off only as needed and to have it embedded in DFM ( in the DFM database ) would be perfect ( no extra external scripting to move around ).

My report uses the following:

BASE CATALOG - Snapshot

Display Tab - File Systems

Storage System Name Snapshot SnapReserve (A) Scheduled Snapshots Snapshot Name   Hourly Retention Nightly Retention Weekly Retention

------------------- ------------------------ ------------------- -------------------------------- ----------------- ----------------

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  nightly.0       6                2                 0              

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  hourly.5        6                2                 0              

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  hourly.4        6                2                 0              

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  hourly.3        6                2                 0              

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  hourly.2        6                2                 0              

phxdbfiler01-A      vol0.snapshot            On                  hourly.1        6                2                 0              

Is there any way i can make this report fire off when nightlys are under 5?

4 REPLIES 4

kjag

Hi Emanuel,

No. Its not possible to trigger an alert by checking the fields in your report.

But this can be done by a script plugin and generate an event based on the "Night snapshot count" and alram can be configured for the same.

Please let me know, if this will satisfy your requirement.

-Kjag

emanuel

I believe this will have to do; the NIghtly SnapShot count is what is drawing constant attention.

Since this would be a script plug in, would this have to be authored by hand or is this plugin some downloadable module.

kjag

This script has to be written and we can attach a schedule, so that it can run and send the report at specified time .

I can help you for writing the script.

-Kjag

emanuel

Okay cool, I would be happy to work with you.

I am in a P1 right now so I will contact you privately shortly and we can post the result here for others to see.

Public