Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Initialize all disks and clear configuration...Need your help(Urgent)

JAFFERALI86

Hi all,

Our scenario: We have a FAS2240-4 which was configured earlier with only one controller and the other controller was passive. The existing controller has 12 disks now and already assigned. Initially we bought this with 2 controllers but using one. Now we planned to add 12 more disks and enable the HA-pair(cf). I found a document from Netapp and I am following as per it. I have attached the document with this thread.

As per the document these are the steps:

1. Preparing for the upgrade on page 2  - ------- Done

2. Preparing a controller module when using Storage Encryption on page 2 ------ Not Applicable in our environment

3. Preparing the netboot server on page 3 -------- Done

4. Installing and cabling the new controller module on page 6 ------- Done

5. Booting and installing Data ONTAP on the new controller module on page 8 ----- Not Done (my question is here)

6. Setting up Data ONTAP on the new controller module on page 9

7. Verifying and setting the HA state of a FAS22xx, 32xx, or 62xx controller module and chassis on page 10

8. Enabling the cf.mode option or adding cf licenses on page 10

9. Running setup on the existing controller module to add the partner IP address on page 11

10. Rebooting both controller modules and enabling the HA pair on page 12

11. Installing the firmware after adding a second controller module on page 12

12. Cloning the configuration from the existing controller module to the new controller module on page 12

In the page 9 the instruction is as follows.

If your version of

Data ONTAP is...

8.x operating in 7-

Mode                    

a. Select the option Install new software first from the boot menu.   ------- Done

This boot menu option downloads and installs the new Data ONTAP image to the boot device.

b. During the software installation process, when you are prompted for the URL of the image.tgz file, enter

the path as follows:

http://ip-address-of-existing controller/image.tgz    ------- Done

After the software installation is complete, you are prompted to reboot the system.

c. Reboot the system.      ------- Done

The system reboots and displays the boot menu.

d. Select option 4 to initialize all disks.   -------- Not Done

When I select this option will it erases my data in my existing disks( 12 disks assigned to controller1 which is active now). If yes I will die 

Also I didn't see any steps asking me to add  the disks in the maintenance mode which one of my friend suggested before initializing (software ownership).

Could someone who have experienced in adding controller please share your thoughts. I am afraid of selecting this option before getting a clear idea.

Also please reply me ASAP as I have down time only today.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

octave_rodrigues

Hello Ali Jaffer,

First you have to be sure you first controller (active in production) doesn't have take the ownership of the new disks you have installed for the new controller.

To done this, you have to (on first controller):

Disable the automatic ownership:

options disk.auto_assign off

Verify if the new disks are still unassigned (not spare of the first controller):

disk show -n

If there is no disks unassigned, you have to unassigned them from this controller to let them free for the new controller:

disk remove_ownership <disk_name> => for all the 12 new disks added

(Note: this can be done only if these disks are spare mean not owned by an agregate.)

At this point you can verify at the new controller that the new disks can be owned by this new controller

And if you issue the command to initialize All disks (option 4 from the boot menu) ONLY these disks are initialized.

The second controller can't (never) initialze the partner disks.

Hope this help.

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

octave_rodrigues

Hello Ali Jaffer,

First you have to be sure you first controller (active in production) doesn't have take the ownership of the new disks you have installed for the new controller.

To done this, you have to (on first controller):

Disable the automatic ownership:

options disk.auto_assign off

Verify if the new disks are still unassigned (not spare of the first controller):

disk show -n

If there is no disks unassigned, you have to unassigned them from this controller to let them free for the new controller:

disk remove_ownership <disk_name> => for all the 12 new disks added

(Note: this can be done only if these disks are spare mean not owned by an agregate.)

At this point you can verify at the new controller that the new disks can be owned by this new controller

And if you issue the command to initialize All disks (option 4 from the boot menu) ONLY these disks are initialized.

The second controller can't (never) initialze the partner disks.

Hope this help.

Regards

JAFFERALI86

Thanks Rodrigues. I checked the active controller and there is 12 unowned disks and the disk.auto_assign option is off. So I hope I can go ahead and initialize the disks.

octave_rodrigues

Yes sure !

Just one more thing, are you sure syou have put the same version of DataONTAP on the new controller than the other ?

It's very important, and you have to put exactly the same version (patch version too)

Example if you had 8.1.2P4 on the first you must have 8.1.2P4 on the second (not anyother)

Regards

JAFFERALI86

Yup Rodrigues. We are using the same version for both the controllers. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Jaffer Ali

JAFFERALI86

Thanks Rodrigues. I did it successfully. But it takes 8 to 12 hours for the disk initialization. We are using 2TB disks.

Thanks and Regards,

Jaffer Ali

octave_rodrigues

Hi Jaffer,

Happy you have done it successfully.

Disk initialization is always a great moment, waiting the dots stops filling the screen.

Don't do it when you are in a hurry

Regards

Octave

JAFFERALI86

Public