Our scenario: We have a FAS2240-4 which was configured earlier with only one controller and the other controller was passive. The existing controller has 12 disks now and already assigned. Initially we bought this with 2 controllers but using one. Now we planned to add 12 more disks and enable the HA-pair(cf). I found a document from Netapp and I am following as per it. I have attached the document with this thread.
As per the document these are the steps:
1. Preparing for the upgrade on page 2 - ------- Done
2. Preparing a controller module when using Storage Encryption on page 2 ------ Not Applicable in our environment
3. Preparing the netboot server on page 3 -------- Done
4. Installing and cabling the new controller module on page 6 ------- Done
5. Booting and installing Data ONTAP on the new controller module on page 8 ----- Not Done (my question is here)
6. Setting up Data ONTAP on the new controller module on page 9
7. Verifying and setting the HA state of a FAS22xx, 32xx, or 62xx controller module and chassis on page 10
8. Enabling the cf.mode option or adding cf licenses on page 10
9. Running setup on the existing controller module to add the partner IP address on page 11
10. Rebooting both controller modules and enabling the HA pair on page 12
11. Installing the firmware after adding a second controller module on page 12
12. Cloning the configuration from the existing controller module to the new controller module on page 12
In the page 9 the instruction is as follows.
If your version of
Data ONTAP is...
8.x operating in 7-
a. Select the option Install new software first from the boot menu. ------- Done
This boot menu option downloads and installs the new Data ONTAP image to the boot device.
b. During the software installation process, when you are prompted for the URL of the image.tgz file, enter