Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Integration between OCI and ServiceNow?

JBARBALACE

Hello,

I'm curious if there is any detailed documentation available on integrating OCI with ServiceNow.  Possibly on how to import data from OCI into ServiceNow?

I found the below pdf, but we are looking for something with more specific details.

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/cs-oci-and-servicenow.pdf

Thank you!

Julia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tpass

Hi Julia,

My name is Terry Pass. tpass@netapp.com I am the Solution Architect who created the integration between OCI and ServiceNow.

I have a few docs i can share on once I sanitize them.  If you would like a demo I can provide that as well.

There are a few paths to creating an integation.

1.Is using our REST API to pull data out of OCI and push into ServiceNow - we have a PS engagment where we can deliver this integratoin to our customers.

2. Is using our JBDC interface to pull data into ServiceNow.  I can send you a white paper on the integration, it will provide more detail but not the exact how to.  The JBDC integrations uses sys_data_source to create the base set of tables in ServiceNow then transforms the data into the tables used in CMDB. 

Value

• The benefit of the integation is to introduce heterogenous sets of data for all the storage CI classes into the CMDB.
  • The second benefit introduces URL links for any CI OCI introduced to the CMDB.  This provides a URL link in CMDB for each CI, making it possible to click on the link opening the OCI product to the exact CI you were looking at in CMDB. 

Here is a link to the latest Solution Brief

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/content/522706?assetComponentId=523483

Thank you

Terry

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jeff_Yao

to be honest, not so sure about this. but maybe u can check with our SE team?

ostiguy

Hey Julia,

OCI has a few different data flows:

OCI DWH - if you are more comfortable with SQL, and you are looking to pull longer term capacity and/or performance data, this is a good option

OCI REST API - if you want to work with OCI's near real time view of your environment, including all the performance samples that OCI stores, this is a good option

OCI's SNMP/Syslog support - if you want OCI to push incident notification as they happen, this may be the glue

So, in my weird role as a generalist OCI SE, I haven't had too many in depth involvements with OCI customers integrating with Service Now as I don't actually "own" specific accounts, but my understanding is that diffferent customers prioritize different goals for their ServiceNow integrations, and some are using multiple data feeds for a best of breed solution.

I will see if I can get some our of PS folks with more familiarity to weigh in

Matt

asulliva

I believe this is something that NetApp IT is doing.  Perhaps @stetson knows who to contant.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

stetson

I have indeed spoken a lot about this.  I will defer to the experts @tpass and @vj for who are the official owners of this integration.  @maryjol and her team too might be good references if needed.  Thanks!

JBARBALACE

Thanks, everyone, for the input!  Any information you might be able to provide would be most appreciated.

ITguy

Did you get any help from NetApp regarding documentation on how to integrate Service Now with OCI ?

tpass

Hi Julia,

My name is Terry Pass. tpass@netapp.com I am the Solution Architect who created the integration between OCI and ServiceNow.

I have a few docs i can share on once I sanitize them.  If you would like a demo I can provide that as well.

There are a few paths to creating an integation.

1.Is using our REST API to pull data out of OCI and push into ServiceNow - we have a PS engagment where we can deliver this integratoin to our customers.

2. Is using our JBDC interface to pull data into ServiceNow.  I can send you a white paper on the integration, it will provide more detail but not the exact how to.  The JBDC integrations uses sys_data_source to create the base set of tables in ServiceNow then transforms the data into the tables used in CMDB. 

Value

• The benefit of the integation is to introduce heterogenous sets of data for all the storage CI classes into the CMDB.
  • The second benefit introduces URL links for any CI OCI introduced to the CMDB.  This provides a URL link in CMDB for each CI, making it possible to click on the link opening the OCI product to the exact CI you were looking at in CMDB. 

Here is a link to the latest Solution Brief

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/content/522706?assetComponentId=523483

Thank you

Terry

Som_Shilimkar

Hi Terry,

Can you please help us with "using our JBDC interface to pull data into ServiceNow" documentation ?

Best Regards,

Somnath.

moechnig

This old thread still comes up when customers look for information about ServiceNOW integration for OnCommand Insight and Cloud Insights, but some of the links cited have aged out.  Here's a little update.  

Cloud Insights and OnCommand Insight discover extensive details of compute and storage infrastructure, and that inventory and relationship data can be valuable in your CMDB.  NetApp maintains a "Base Connector" that transmits a very simple set of data from OCI to the ServiceNOW CMDB.  It can be downloaded from the NetApp Automation Store.  Navigate to OnCommand Insight, Scripts, ServiceNOW Connector.  As of this writing, the current version is here:  https://automationstore.netapp.com/ocipack-detail.shtml?packName=ServiceNow!Connector&packVersion=2.3.0  That version won't be current forever, so when you arrive there, check the Version History column on the right to see if there's a newer release.  

We maintain an equivalent ServiceNOW CMDB Base Connector for Cloud Insights.  Contact your Cloud Insights sales team for a copy.  

The Cloud Insights and OnCommand Insight Base Connectors provide the same limited functionality:  

• Create and maintain Storage Server configuration items corresponding to monitored Storage assets (that's the only configuration item it delivers)
  • Create relationships between Server and Storage Server configuration items corresponding to host and VM paths
  • Add links to ServiceNOW configuration items for each Storage, Host, and VM asset, and add links to Storage, Host, and VM assets to Storage Server and Server configuration items to facilitate navigation between ServiceNOW and (O)CI.  

NetApp Professional Services has built custom connectors for several customers, extending the code base of the downloadable Base Connector.   Popular requests for custom connectors include:  

• transmitting a more complete asset schema into ServiceNOW CMDB configuration items
  • populating Annotations, Applications, and Business Entities based on CMDB fields

The possibilities are dictated mainly by the API capabilities of the endpoints.  Contact your OnCommand Insight/Cloud Insights sales team if you want more information about custom connectors.  

Integration of the monitoring aspects of OnCommand Insight and Cloud Insights with ServiceNOW Event Management or automatic ticketing will rely more on configuring the two products to work together, and to implement policies that reflect your organization's expectations, rather than on adding code.  The two products (OnCommand Insight and Cloud Insights) differ substantially in the process and capabilities of their monitoring and alerting subsystems.  This post contains some good information on configuring Cloud Insights to transmit alerts to ServiceNOW Event Management:  https://community.netapp.com/t5/Cloud-Insights-Blog/Using-Cloud-Insights-webhooks-in-ServiceNow/ba-p/167710  Also refer to the manual for your product to understand the possibilities of configuring and maintaining monitoring parameters and alerting protocols.  

Public