Data Infrastructure Management Software Discussions

Highlighted

Migrating data from AIQUM 9.6 to 9.7 ( Windows to Appliance)

Hey!

Looked through some older posts, but could not find anything more current. We will be migrating away from the Windows installation of AIQUM to a vSphere appliance.

For our historical data, what is the best method to import it into the new instance? I looked through the docs, but I have not seen anything for this case, but I could be missing it somewhere.

Any advice or help would be great, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Migrating data from AIQUM 9.6 to 9.7 ( Windows to Appliance)

Hi,

I really doubt it is possible. Virtual appliance (vApp) is a lock-down OS, therefore it does not provide a way to move the 'backup file' off of the vApp, unlike Windows/Linux/Virtual Machine. Usually, if you are running UM on Windows/Linux/Virtual Machine, then it is possible to 'backup' and restore the 'database' to another UM of same type. With vApps, VM/datastore level snapshots are used for backup and restore purpose.

My suggestion would be to:
1) Get the vApp up and running and it will start gathering newer stats.
2) Power-off the Windows-UM, after a month or so, so that you have month-old data collected on the vApp. In case you want to go back to old historical data, you can always power-on and get the old stats, usually a month old data is good enough for analysis and troubleshooting.

Interesting if you look at the documentation for AIUM,  there is a provision to - Migrate vApp UM to Linux system. Perhaps, b'cos they both speak linux.

https://docs.netapp.com/ocum-97/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.onc-um-ag%2FGUID-AC9DFDAB-18D2-4D59-93AB-FF32C0421F7A.html

Thanks!

Highlighted

It should be possible to backup and restore a database. https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting%2FData_Infrastructure_Management%2FOnCommand_Suite%2FHow_to_collect_an_OnCommand_Unified_Manger_backu... seems to refer to it.

You might make sure you download the OVA for 9.6 to match versions or upgrade Windows to 9.7 to make sure it's not a problem.

I can't find exact steps so hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction. If you end up opening a case and getting an answer, I'd be curious to know what it is.

Highlighted

NetApp TS should be able to get into the appliance as "root". I haven't run the appliance since version 6.0, but back then they possessed the secret decoder ring and were able to get in. They should be able to assist you I getting a copy of your backup file from your Wintel host to the appliance, and kicking off a restore. Of course, all of this hinges on the appliance being able to restore from a Wintel-hosted backup. Again, NetApp TS should know. All of this is exactly why we went from the appliance )(the only choice back then) to a RHEL-hosted installation the second it became available - it all came down to control. We've never looked back since, and we've never been sorry we switched from the appliance to the hosted solution.

Good luck, and I hope that this works out for you!

Scott

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums