Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Monitoring Unix-Hosts with non-default SSH port

bloehlein

Hi,

does the current version of OnCommand Balance offer any option to specify a non-default SSH-port for the monitoring of Linux/Unix-Hosts?

Best regards,

Bernd

7 REPLIES 7

dbourque

Hello,

Just to clarify the intended target "HOST's", I believe you are referring to the actual Linux VM's and not ESX servers.

Balance currently uses Port 22 for the default port for both Physical and Virtual *NIX servers.  However;  there is a way to change the specified port.

For virtual *nix, the process is a bit tedious,  After selecting the Server for the unmonitored servers list, the server should fail to communicate due to the port shift.

Select the server name and then select the EDIT option.  You would need to manually change each server discovered to the desired port.  (See attached image)

For Physical servers, the option is available during the setup. 

Mr. Peter Lauterbach (Balance Product Manager) peter.lauterbach@netapp.com can be contacted for product enhancement requests.

Please take a moment to select if this reply is correct and or helpful.

Best regards,

Don Bourque

OnCommand Insight SE

NetApp

bloehlein

Hi Don,

I did try that, but my list of unmonitored servers is empty. I'm using the latest available balance (4.1.0.0)...

Best regards

Bernd

bloehlein

Is this a bug? I've checked the list of unmonitored servers in multiple customer environments and all lists are empty... But in every installation there are several unmonitored servers as in my previous screenshot.

Best regards,

Bernd

dmilliro

Hello Bernd,

Are these physical *nix servers or virtual *nix servers?  They did move the list of "unmonitored" virtual servers under the vCenter Unmonitored Servers hyperlink.

Thanks, Daniel

bloehlein

Hi Daniel,

It about virtual Linux servers that don't use the default port 22 for SSH-Access, therefore monitoring through the link "vCenter unmonitored servers" site won't work and generate a timeout error.

I',m looking for a way to set a non-default port for an unmonitored VM and/or change the IP-Adress if the vm has more than one and balance picks the wrong one.

Best regards

Bernd

dmilliro

Hi Bernd,

Ok. That makes more sense.  Unfortunately for VM's that have NOT been monitored by Balance you can only change the SSH port via a NetApp support case.  Are you guys customers of Balance or just evaluating the product?  If you are a customer you can open a support case and they can help you make this change.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Daniel

bloehlein

Hi Daniel,

I'm having this request for a customer PoC right now, do you have any BURT-Number or something similar to refer to? We'll open a case as soon as the customer buys his balance licenses.

Best regards,

Bernd

Public