Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Moving a primary volume in protection manager

cscott

Hi,

We are getting ready to layout hardware upgrades using data migrations and want to plan how best to accomplish this task.

The basics:

existing filers:

FilerA

FilerB

FilerC

FilerD

new filers:

FilerA_new

FilerB_new

FilerC_new

FilerD_new

The night of the cutover, FilerA_new becomes FilerA, FilerB_new becomes FilerB, current FilerA becomes FilerA_new(to be decomissioned), and so on.

With protection manager we can add the aggrs to the existing system resource pools and migrate using PM.  However we are worried that this migration process will cause issues when the system names are all swapped, as 8 systems all swap names(and all 8 names are in PM managing the same volumes.)

Now the long and arduous way would be to ensure the reaper process is disabled, relinquish all the primary dirs, manually update everything involved, then import all the relationships.  This isn't entirely practical as there are 1000+ volumes involved.  It could be scripted, but the amount of time and manual checking will be problematic.

Is there a process using the PM migration that we can follow to ensure that all of the name swaps do not appear as new relationships and attempt to baseline everything?

Thank you,

Scott

3 REPLIES 3

adaikkap

Hi Scott,

If its just head swap, then you dont have to go through the arduous process of PM, but if you are going to manally VSM  the data from FilerA to FilerA_new then yes you will have to go though the pains.

I am attaching a doc that I wrote on how to keep PM dataset happy when primary is migrated. Hope it helps you.

cscott

Thanks Adai, I am sure it is.  I have that document from using it previously(at my previous employer) and it helped tremendously!

- Scott

chute

"This isn't entirely practical as there are 1000+ volumes involved."

Ah reading your post brings back memories

Public