Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp-Harvest 1.6.1 updater + some news about Harvest 2.0

vachagan_gratian

Dear Harvest users,

First of all, apologies for not responding to your questions lately, I was too busy but I'll try to get back to unanswered messages during the next week. Here is some good news: we released a Harvest updater to fix some issues in Harvest 1.6 and add some requested features. We don't go for an official release, since that would take a lot (more) time. The updates include:

• Support for SSL authentication in Harvest Extensions
  • Fixing bug in the extension snapmirror_replications.py
  • New extension to collect capacity counters (without OCUM)
  • Caching resolved Graphite hostname (previously sending metrics to Graphite could add pressure on your DNS if caching was not configured in your server/network).

Here is how to run the updater:

• Download the updater package here
  • Verify MD5 checksum:
$ md5sum harvest_updater_161.tar.gz 
> 1923977dee44366080ca19e724ad4650  harvest_updater_161.tar.gz
  • Unextract the package somewhere on your Harvest server, e.g.:
$ tar -xzvf harvest_updater_161.tar.gz -C /tmp/
  • Stop all harvest pollers
  • Run the updater:
$ cd harvest_updater_161/
$ ./harvest_updater
  • Restart Harvest

The updater adds three Grafana dashboards which you'll need to manually import in the Grafana webgui to use/update them:

/opt/netapp-harvest/grafana/db_netapp-detail-nfs-connections.json
/opt/netapp-harvest/grafana/db_netapp-detail-snapmirror.json
/opt/netapp-harvest/grafana/db_netapp-detail-volume-capacity.json

Reversing the update. Before the updater changes any files, it will create a backup in /opt/netapp-harvest/backup/harvest_updater_16100/, so if something goes wrong, you can reverse the update by:

$ ./harvest_updater --reverse

Second of all, many of you are asking about Harvest 2.0 and about replacing Graphite. We are well aware of the scalability issues of Graphite, and while we will continue supporting Graphite, our main backend in Harvest 2.0 will be (most likely) Prometheus. Unfortunately I can't give estimation of a release date, since at the moment we are trying to get more manpower behind this project, but I can tell you that Harvest 2.0 is our main focus at the moment.

Finally if by any chance you have written a Python module to send performance metrics to Prometheus and you want to contribute to an open-source project (Harvest 2.0 will be on Github!), please get in touch with me.

Cheers,

Vachagan

52 REPLIES 52

israelmmi

what do you mean by the "pre-post-exec plugin"?

I have the general harvest service running, but right now I have no data from these dashboards.

And there is no such log file /opt/netapp-harvest/log/CLUSTER_netapp-harvest_snapmirror_replications.log.

Is there a way for me to enable debug on a constant basis so I can see if this is running at all? Or is the fact that there are no debug logs means there is nothing running?

bugfinder

the basic structure of the setup for the harvest extensions is explained in docs/NetApp_Harvest_Extension_Manager_1.6.pdf 

on page 5 of 9 it talks about the extensions.conf file (probably meant extension.conf, but whatever ...)

basically at the end of the main config netapp-harvest.conf, in the section for your cluster you can have a line

"template = default,extensions.conf"

then in template/extensions.conf you can have the structure as explained in the howto cat uses the pre-post-exec plugin

to call scripts from the "command_list" variable and thus collect additional data.

zsliptaii

Download expired, could you share the updater again?

prcpa8w3p

@vachagan_gratian - yep download link expired. New link please and thanks!

vachagan_gratian

Hi, here is the updated link. Sorry for the delay!

zsliptaii

I have "auth_type = password" in configuration, but still getting:

[WARNING] [connect_zapi] Failed to connect to NaServer: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:618)

For the snapmirror extension.

bkamil

@vachagan_gratian 

It seems like SVM-DR SnapMirror relationships are not supported by the SnapMirror extension and only Volume SnapMirror is supported? I'm getting a lot of this in the log file (we're purely an SVM-DR shop):

[2020-03-12 16:49:27,914] [WARNING] [poll_snapmirrors] Destination relationship with no node or volume. Skipping
[2020-03-12 16:49:27,914] [WARNING] [poll_snapmirrors] Source relationship with no volume. Skipping

vachagan_gratian

Hi bkamil,

Yes, that's exactly the cas.

The reason why we skip them now is that we want to summarize SnapMirrors relationships per node (to compare that against the active replications limit of each node). We can't associate an SVM(-DR)s to a Node, but we can sum up SnapMirrors under SVM as well.

It probably will require a 2-3 lines of additional code... So if you need that, let me know!

bkamil

@vachagan_gratian wrote:

It probably will require a 2-3 lines of additional code... So if you need that, let me know!

Yes, that would be great, thanks!

Looking forward 🙂

bkamil

One more thought.

How to check if Harvest AutoSupport actually works or not?

My Harvest servers can only access the Internet via proxy so just wanted to make sure you guys will receive the useful info.

Appreciate all the great work being done on this project!

vachagan_gratian

As far as I know, no internet is required for AutoSupport, so we'll get the stats. Thank you so much 🙂

vachagan_gratian

I have the code, just need to test it!

vachagan_gratian

@bkamil 

It took me a bit more than 2 lines I blame Python for all my bugs ...but here it is. Here's how to update your extension:

• Download package
  • Check integrity:

$ md5sum snapmirror_svm_extended.tar.gz 
> c30592a26ee4b9093b29ee257729c54d  snapmirror_svm_extended.tar.gz

• Extract with tar:

$ tar -xzvf snapmirror_svm_extended.tar.gz

• Stop Harvest and copy the 2 python files to Harvest's extension directory:

cp python_extension_methods_v12.py snapmirror_replications.py /opt/netapp-harvest/extension/

• Finally, start Harvest and manually import db_netapp-extension-snapmirror.json to your Grafana.

You should see new dashboards displaying SVM breakdown:

Screenshot from 2020-03-18 16-59-22.png

bkamil

Thanks @vachagan_gratian !

I'm getting these in _snapmirror_replicatons.log log:

[2020-03-20 12:42:13,859] [ERROR] [find_missing_nodes] ZAPI request failed: either instances or instance-uuids must be given
[2020-03-20 12:45:56,091] [WARNING] [timeout_handler] Extension timeout exceeded. Terminating process
[2020-03-20 12:46:27,599] [ERROR] [find_missing_nodes] ZAPI request failed: either instances or instance-uuids must be given
[2020-03-20 12:47:26,989] [ERROR] [find_missing_nodes] ZAPI request failed: either instances or instance-uuids must be given

Regarding the "python_extension_methods_v12.py" file:

If I do the copy like you suggested the existing file "python_extension_methods.py" won't get overwritten - not sure if that desired. I tried both ways, overwritting an existing file and copying as a new one, same result.

vachagan_gratian

@bkamil , hmm, this is strange.. Which Ontap release do you use? Also, could you run the extension in verbose and share the full logs with me?

No need to overwrite the extension methods files. The old file will be still required by the other extensions (so you should have both, python_extension_methods.py and python_extension_methods_v12.py in /opt/netapp-harvest/extension/).

DSISUPPORT

I'm getting:

[ERROR] [get_snapmirrors] ZAPI request failed: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:618)

With Ontap 9.5P10, everything else works with harvest.

dbakerletn

Hi there,

Any chance the download link could be renewed please?

Thanks

Dan

vachagan_gratian

Sorry, updated again. Will set a reminder for myself not to forget next time!

Florian_Mulatz

Hi,

unfortunately link is expired again 🙂

Cheers & thx

Florian

vachagan_gratian

Hi Florian,

Thanks. I know, I found something new in one of the extensions that I'll need to fix and I'll post a new link soon.

StockageUGA

Hello,

Seems the link expired again 😞

Not sure if it's related to snapmirror features, but our MetroCluster cannot be graphed by netapp-harvest 1.6.0

via the OCUM section, we get this in the log file :

[2020-07-10 10:57:46] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Discovered [SUMMERMCDC1] on OCUM server but unable to submit metrics because no matching conf section found; to collect                                       this cluster please add a section.
[2020-07-10 10:57:46] [WARNING] [sysinfo] Discovered [SUMMERMCDC2] on OCUM server but unable to submit metrics because no matching conf section found; to collect                                       this cluster please add a section.

via the dedicated section in the harvest configuration file, I get : 

[2020-07-10 10:57:46] [NORMAL ] [main] Metrics will be submitted with graphite_root [netapp.perf.***************]

But there is absolutely nothing in the graphs (no IOPS, no latency, etc...)

2020_07_21_11_22_17_Window.png

any ideas ?

Thanks,

GS

Public