Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp Harvest OCUM & capacity metrics from different sites

dlmaldonado

Hi. In my /opt/netapp-harvest/netapp-harvest.conf file, I am collecting from 7-mode, cDOT for performance and OCUM for capacity. I have 3 different sites, but OCUM is only in one site.

For my pollers, I used the physical site as the site identifier. 

Example:

[ntap-name]

hostname = 123.123.123.123
site = springfield

My OCUM server is attached to cDOT clusters from all my sites, but is located in newtown. 

Example:

[OCUM]
hostname = 456.456.456.456
site = newtown
host_type = OCUM
data_update_freq = 900
normalized_xfer = gb_per_sec

Will harvest still be able to match the cDOT systems with the correct capacity data even though they are different site identifiers? 

How are others using the site identifier? Will this work? So far I have mixed results. And I can't determine why some but not all are working.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

madden

Hi @dlmaldonado

With an OCUM poller the site is just used for the meta metrics of the poller (how long the API took to respond, how many  metrics, etc).  Capacity metrics for the monitored clusters are submitted using their own site found in their own poller config.  In this way the data is parallel in the Graphite metrics hierarchy yet seperated because the data has a different update frequency and retention.

I answered a few other questions about OCUM entries in this communities post, so maybe take a look there for a more detailed discussion including some examples. 

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

P.S.  Please select “Options” and then “Accept as Solution” if this response answered your question so that others will find it easily!

Public