Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp Harvest showing metric of old SVM name

user1234

After rename the SVM, the grafana is still showing metrics under old SVM name. I have restarted harvest, also removed the metrics under old svm name, but grafana will keep create metrics under the old svm name,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vsherkar

Does anyone know the solution to this issue, Im facing the same issue and unable to remove the stale/old SVM name.

Tried multiple different ways, but no luck.

I see the old svm name when i use the ./util/perf-countes-utility -host .......... 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

csalitros

You've removed the underlying files in the graphite/whisper path?

If you have purging of old data setup, this should clean up itself over time.  Check out page 22 (7.4 Purging inactive metrics from Graphite [optional]) of the NetApp Harvest Installation and Addministration Guide.

user1234

Yes, I did remove the old folders, but it is keep creating with the old svm name. Some metrics are generated under the new svm name, but the volumes metrics are generated under the old svm name.

vachagan_gratian

Harvest updates its instances cache every hour, so after an hour (or restart), metrics should be sent to Graphite with the new SVM name. It is possible that the counter manager of the ONTAP system has some delay in updating the SVM name (though I tested this in my lab, and the new name appears almost immediately).

You can use the perf-counter-util tool that come to Harvest to see if the SVM names are updated (this tool communicates to Ontap's counter manager with the same protocol as Harvest does, so the data you see is the same Harvest receives).

If you are in the Harvest root directory (/opt/netapp-harvest/) you can run this command to get a list of SVMs in your ONTAP system:

./util/perf-counters-utility -host HOSTNAME -user USERNAME -pass PASSWORD -in -f volume:vserver

(replace HOSTNAME, USERNAME and PASSWORD accordingly.)

user1234

Thanks for the information, I tried the perf-counters-utility command, it returns the old svm name. Looks like the count manager on filer has gave wrong information. Just wondering is there way to update that information on filer? BTW, I am running ONTAP 9.5 for the filer.

vachagan_gratian

It depends why exactly this has happened. Might be because the SVM has a peer relationship with another SVM (take a look here).

Other than that, this falls out my expertise, I would suggest to open a new post as an ONTAP-issue. I would also add details on how you renamed the SVM (GUI or CLI).

vsherkar

Does anyone know the solution to this issue, Im facing the same issue and unable to remove the stale/old SVM name.

Tried multiple different ways, but no luck.

I see the old svm name when i use the ./util/perf-countes-utility -host .......... 

Public