Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Not enough spare disk

TransX

Hi everyone, i am fairly new to NetApp. A hard drive failed and we replaced it. after that we have a error message: There are not enough spare disks. /aggr0/plex0/rg0: Please add spare disks supporting block checksums

how i can make 1d.02.17 (new hard drive just replaced) to be a spare please?

a.png

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

asulliva

It looks like the partner node claimed the disk.  You'll need to remove the disk from the partner and change ownership to the node which needs it.  I would recommend contacting support to have them walk you through the process.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

TransX

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your suggestion. do you know is it only way i can do it in command line? seem it doesnt support GUI.

if so, could you provide some direction or any command i have to use please?

thanks

asulliva

As @ekashpureff mentioned, there's some gotchas that can happen (e.g. making sure that the disk really is a spare on the partner...), I really can't recommend strongly enough that you contact support and ask them to walk through it.

That being said, at a highlevel, the process is to remove ownership of the disk on the current node then take ownership from the other node.  The commands are going to be different if you're using 7-mode vs clustered.  For cDOT, it would be something along the lines of "storage disk removeowner" followed by "storage disk assign".

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ekashpureff

TransX -

It's not a full list of all of your drives.

You'd have to look at the partner view to see whether that drive is a spare for the partner.

You could unassign a spare drive(s) from the partner, then assign to this controller.

See the 'disk unassign' and 'disk assign' commands.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff, Sr.
Independent NetApp Consultant http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff
Senior NetApp Instructor, FastLane US http://www.fastlaneus.com/
(P.S. I appreciate 'kudos' on any helpful posts.)

Public