Data Infrastructure Management Software Discussions

Re: OCI DWH Cognos join error

The reason this isn't drag and drop:

wwn -wwpn - this could be a 1:1 relationship, or 1:>1 relationship (a dual port HBA is often 1 WWNN, and 2 WWPN)

wwpn - status/switch blade/switch port - this is a 1:1 relationship if the HBA is plugged in, otherwise 1:0

wwn - status/switch blade/switch port - this can be a 0-many: to 0/1 relationship, depending on how many WWPNs the WWN has, and whether they are plugged in or not

WWPN to volume/internal volume - this is potentially a many to many relationship

So, there are a ton of variances in terms of how the relationships play out. What you seek to do almost assuredly can be written, but it will require some sql

I agree with scripting but I'm facing myself with a wild and unknown territory 

I agree with the other part of you answer but: too many relationships but if I can obtain a table where, in caso of 2 WWPN for 1 WWNN the table is automatically splitted in two rows below the host name...

...knowing that OCI "knows" everythings form paths and others why I cannot easily obtain other infos suchs (i.e) all the LUN attached to that host?

Of corse these infos together with the other about host and its connectivity in one report (we all know that using two or more reports we'll have them)

Regards,

Hey Giacomo,

Does the attached report do what you are looking to do? It contains a .xml report definition that you can import into Cognos with Report Studio. I spent a little bit of time with this, and I think it is roughly what you are after

I will try it asap. In the mean time I thank you very much for the time you've spent on it and because this will probably be useful as sample.

regards

Hi gmilazzoitag,

First thing is that you must know the relationship between multiple tables. If you are sure on that, I would suggest to model the metadata using framework manager. I, myself using the same approach in solving some cross joining issues between many required reports.

But metadata modeling is not that easy specially for beginners, a single mistake result in wrong report results. If your requirements are limited then writing SQL queries will solve the purpose, as suggested by ostiguy.

Forums