Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OCI Installation issue

sunilyadav

Hi,

I am installing OCI 6.3 in my laptop. It is Dell E6420 Win7-64bit. Server was installed successfully. When I run DWH setup, I get below error:

"Another version of this product is already installed. Tnstallation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the exisiting version of this product, use add/remove programs on the control panel."

Attaching the error for reference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

francoi1

4 GB is a bit short. When I try to run everything on my Win7 physical laptop with 4 GB of RAM I end up killing pretty much everything else. And still the DWH will behave erratically most of the time. Running just the OCI server is fine though.

On the other hand, in a Parallels VM running on a 8 GB laptop, I can run the OCI server and DWH together with just 4.5 GB of allocated RAM thanks to the virtualisation.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

francoi1

Hello,

You need a special MSI installer to install both the OnCommand Insight Server and Data Warehouse on the same machine. You can not do it by running the two MSI installers one after the other.

The MSI installer to achieve this is not available on Support with the other OnCommand Insight installers, I don't know whether and/or where you could get it. Maybe someone else here can help you there.

Regards.

sunilyadav

Hi,

Thanks for putting that point.

I managed to get the single installer but were the issues observed:

1. During installation, it hanged (in progressing) at reporting installation. When I manually started it from services.msc it proceeded.

2. When I start cognos manually I get below error:

"Windows could not start IBM cognos service on local computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I googled it but the solutions were provided when cognos is installed as complete/independent solution, not bundled with OCI.

Any help in this?

francoi1

It might be something else but when I get errors like this it is usually a memory ressource problem. You can try to dig in the log files to confirm. How much RAM is available?

sunilyadav

My laptop have total of 4GB RAM.

ostiguy

You need at least 8GB to think about running both OCI and the DWH on your laptop for test purposes.

francoi1

4 GB is a bit short. When I try to run everything on my Win7 physical laptop with 4 GB of RAM I end up killing pretty much everything else. And still the DWH will behave erratically most of the time. Running just the OCI server is fine though.

On the other hand, in a Parallels VM running on a 8 GB laptop, I can run the OCI server and DWH together with just 4.5 GB of allocated RAM thanks to the virtualisation.

sunilyadav

ok, I ordered for more 4GB RAM. Is it necessary to intall any other OS on VM or I can use my native Win7 64bit to create test environment?

Another thing, once it is installed how can I restore my production database. Because I will have 2 DB files, from server and DWH. Restoring second DB will destroy the previous data. Any solution for it?

ostiguy

64bit Windows 7 doesn't have any memory limits you are likely to encounter.

You can restore a DWH DB and a OCI DB to the same system - they will not overlap. You need to restore the DWH DB through the DWH administrative portal, and the OCI DB through the OCI management portal.

sunilyadav

Hi Francoi1,

I got another laptop with 8GB RAM. I installed OCI in it without any issue like earlier, but I still get same error when starting "IBM cognos" service:

"Windows could not start IBM cognos service on local computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

sunilyadav

Hi,

Earlier problems were solved. Now OCI is installed in laptop. All services up but when I click client, I get below error:

"The OnCommand Insight Client failed to launch. Please see the log files for details"

I checked location C:\Program Files\SANscreen\jboss\server\onaro\log\err and contents are:

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:40 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/admin-console'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:53 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener$WebXmlProcessor scanForFacesServlet

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/client-plugins'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:53 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/client-plugins'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:54 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener$WebXmlProcessor scanForFacesServlet

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/datasources'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:54 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/datasources'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:54 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener$WebXmlProcessor scanForFacesServlet

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/download'

Sep 26, 2012 11:28:54 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/download'

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/java-install'

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/java-install'

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/onlineHelp'

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/onlineHelp'

Sep 26, 2012 11:29:01 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener$WebXmlProcessor scanForFacesServlet

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/schema'

Sep 26, 2012 11:29:01 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/schema'

Sep 26, 2012 11:29:56 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/dwh'

Sep 26, 2012 11:30:32 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener$WebXmlProcessor scanForFacesServlet

WARNING: Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/sanscreenapi'

Sep 26, 2012 11:30:32 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/sanscreenapi'

Sep 26, 2012 11:30:41 AM com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener contextInitialized

INFO: Initializing Mojarra (1.2_12-b01-FCS) for context '/vmwareplugin'

Am I looking at right file? If yes, what is the problem? I didn't get any help for pdf files and by searching on netapp website.

ostiguy

How did you launch the client? The desktop icon, or by going to http://localhost -> Client ?

If the desktop client icon fails, try through the web portal

sunilyadav

I tried using both options, but get same error every time.

ostiguy

Question – have you moved your laptop around. I.e, are you network interfaces in the same state they were in the last time the OCI services were started?

OCI basically doesn’t expect network interfaces to go up and down, and also stamps the registry with some values as to what it perceives your FQDN to be. If this fluctuates depending on where you are when the OCI services start, it could be in a weird state.

We do have some options to hack OCI to run on the localhost address. This is equally unsupported as running OCI + DWH on the same machine, but pre sales and PS folks may do this to live in a world of bluetooth tethering + wifi + ethernet from cube to conference to customer to hotel.

The client log is named “sanscreen-client.log” it lives in %USERPROFILE% , which is “c:\users\XYZ” on Windows 7/2008 by default, where XYZ is your username. Reviewing the client log might be helpful

Matt

sunilyadav

Hi,

Yes, I do move my laptop very often sometimes to different floors/buildings or cities? Its part of my role. I represent OCI to other teams and peoples to show its power and trying to involve them. Can you tell me that trick so that I can run it on my laptop. I cannot connect every time to our production system as it is located in another country, and sometimes there is no or network speed issues.

regards,

Sunil Yadav 

sunilyadav

All set. Working on laptop. I can also see query explorer, it was some role issue. Thanks ostiguy.

sojdehei

Hello 

Here is the corrected answer to this error: "Another version of this product is already installed. Tnstallation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the exisiting version of this product, use add/remove programs on the control panel."

This is an issue with Microsoft and here is the workaround for it:

You must first download and install Microsoft WindowsSDK on the server with this issue.

steps to solve the error:

1. Execute the following command from command prompt:

msiexec /i program_name.msi /lv logfile.log

where program_name.msi is the new version

/lv is log Verbose output

2. open up the logfile.log in the editor

3. find the GUID in it

I found it like the following

Product Code from property table before transforms: '{GUID}'

execute the following command from the visual studio command prompt ( You can find this command program in the WindowsSDK downloaded earlier)

msizap.exe TWP {GUID}

it did the trick and removed the installed service successfully.  Good luck!

Public