Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OPM 2.0P2 cannot install

machinist

I am trying to get OPM 2.0P2 working and I'm finding it a frustrating exercise.

My preference was to install the VMware ova file as that is a self installing and simple exercise....at least it was with OPM 1.1. Anyway, I deployed the package and filled in the IP, hostname details, etc and then the install inexplicably fails and refuses to set the interface IP information! P.S. my vCenter is version 6, which is a supported version according to NetApp page.

See screenshot for fail message after commit of IP info:

netapp-perfmgr-fail.jpg

It seems NetApp support want nothing to do with this issue, so I decided to try installing the Linux RPM instead and that needs a licenced version of RedHat! Crazy.

Can someone please provide me with some advice on what to do now?

15 REPLIES 15

SeanHatfield

Its rolling back the change because of the failure encountered restarting vmware tools.  The question will come down to why the common agent service is failing to start.  Incompatible versions of VMware tools can cause this.

Is your ESX host version an IMT match with OPM2.0?  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

machinist

Thanks for the quick replySmiley Happy

What do you mean by "an IMT match"?

ekashpureff

Machinist -

IMT - Interoperability Matrix Tool.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff, Sr.
Independent NetApp Consultant http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff
Senior NetApp Instructor, IT Learning Solutions http://sg.itls.asia/netapp
(P.S. I appreciate 'kudos' on any helpful posts.)

SeanHatfield

Right the Interoperability matrix at https://mysupport.netapp.com/matrix

In this case the ESX host version is more important than the vCenter version, since thats where the tools installer lives.  I had a quick look and aything older than ESXi 5.5 would be a problem.  

Search for "Oncommand Performance Manager 2.0", click add, and in the "search assistant" area it will be listed as a solution.  Follow that link, the click on "view what works with what" and check if your ESXi version is supported under "Hypervisor (OVA Deployment) (OS)".

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

machinist

Using IMT my setup shows as 'Supported'.

I'm currently deploying the OVA again and this time at the VMware Tools installation prompt I will spin up an older version than the current release....I'll report back on whether that fixes the issue.

Thanks

machinist

I can confirm that I have now got the OVA working using VMware Tools v9541.

I hope this helps someone else suffering the same issue I did Smiley Happy

SeanHatfield

Thats great.  What build of ESXi and VMware tools were you using when it wasn't working? 

Also add all this information to your support case before you close it out.

machinist

Hi,

The ESXi + VMware Tools versions that OPM 2.0P2 do *not* work are:

• VMware ESXi, 6.0.0, 3380124
  • VMware Tools - version:10240

Re: DenisR solution - this may work, but it's a lot more complicated than my solution of just re-pointing the VMware Tools installation step to an older version of VMware Tools.

Many thanks to all who replied Smiley Happy

monchgesang

Hi Machinist,

How do you install VMware Tools v9541( older version ) on that VM ??

I'm also running VMware 6.0 but have no choice in vesions...so  how do you select any version of VMWARE tools 

rein

davidrnexon

Here is another work around guys, opened a ticket with Netapp and got around this by setting the ip manually.

I documented the full procedure here: http://www.sysadmintutorials.com/netapp-performance-manager-2-1-rc1-and-vsphere-5-5-install-error/

otip

Hi,

could you please elaborate "and this time at the VMware Tools installation prompt I will spin up an older version than the current release."

I am not sure to understand how you do this.

Thank you.

DenisR

I also recently had this problem and after troubleshooting I was able to solve it by changing OPM OS's (2.0P1 virtual appliance runs on Debian Linux) locale to en_US.UTF-8. Seems like by default it is "C" and certain version of VMware tools' startup script is not OK with this.
To change locale you can do the following:
1. Boot OPM virtual appliance into single user mode by supplying option init=/bin/sh from GRUB boot loader.
2. # mount -o remount,rw /
3. # dpkg-reconfigure locales
4. Choose en_US.UTF-8, apply configuration
5. # umount /
6. Reboot virtual machine: if OS won't reboot, VM "power reset" is fine too.
In my case, at next boot for some reason "first boot VMware tools install" was triggered, although I've already booted appliance and installed tools. But nevertheless, second installation was successful. After this "Common agent" starts normally and I was able to apply network configuration.
Again, in my case after "successfully" applying network configuration network still didn't work. I had had to repeat this procedure and manually change /etc/network/interfaces in Debian's single user mode using vi editor. After this finally OPM was working fine.

davidrnexon

Hi Denis, i'm running into the same issue with PM 2.1RC1 on vSphere 5.5 Update 3b, are you able to provide some further detail for step 1 of your fix ?

DenisR

Hi,

To boot into single user mode you should first bring out GRUB boot loader menu by pressing any key when GRUB screen will appear and start countdown. Then select first line with OCPM and press 'e', find line that begins with "linux /boot/vmlinuz [...]", select it and press 'e' again. Add init=/bin/bash to the end of the line (if "init=..." is already present, remove it).

Or you can execute instructions from this or that link. Some documentation suggests passing "Single" or "single" option, I haven't tested it with OCPM/Debian and not sure whether it will work. Anyway booting into "single user mode" is quite common operation and instructions can be easily found using google.

I wasn't able to use older version of VMware tools, otherwise of course I would have prefered this method.

fmadrolle

Perfect, it's work for me too with OPM2.1RC1.

Thanks !

Public