Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand System Manager 3.1.2 RC2 and Java

densminger

All,

Forgive me, but I am a total newb with Netapp.  I just inherited the responsibility last week after the contractor admin was let go. 

We are using Java 7 update 76 on a Windows 2008 server that is running OnCommand System Manager 3.1.2 RC2.  I've been told by management that we must remove all Java JRE and start using Java SE Development Kit 12 on all servers and workstations.  II am looking for an answer to the following:

a) Will OnCommand run on Java SDK 12?

b) If yes, is it a simple process of removing the old Java in Programs and Features, installing SDK from the Java website, and not having OnCommand freaking out?

c) If SDK won't work, do you know why (so that I can report this)?

d) Is there a OnCommand version that I need to upgrade to in order to run Java SDK?

d) If no, then am I stuck with running versions of Java JRE?  If yes, what is the highest version of Java JRE that can run on 3.1.2 RC2?

Thanks,

Dave 

2 REPLIES 2

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Do you really need host-java-based System Manager ? B'cos since 8.3 onwards system-manager comes bundled with ONTAP software, there is no need for separate installation.

Which means, you could simply point your browser to Cluster_Mgmt IP and you can gain accesss to your NetApp filer.

https://cluster-mgmt-LIF IP

For, example:
ONTAP96::> network interface show -role cluster-mgmt
Logical Status Network Current Current Is
Vserver Interface Admin/Oper Address/Mask Node Port Home
----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----
ONTAP96
cluster_mgmt up/up 192.168.0.200/24 ONTAP96-01 e0M true

My Custer-mgmt IP: 192.168.0.200

For info:
OnCommand System Manager 3.1.2 RC2 requires : JRE7/8
OnCommand System Manager 3.1.3 requires : JRE8

They will not work with JDK12.

Therefore, the best way forward would be to go ahead with your Management recommendations with JDK12, and use browser-based bundled system-manager for Filer management.

SCOTT_LINDLEY

Ontapforrum is correct, if you are running Clustered OnTAP 8.3 or later you can browse directly to the onboard System Manager on the NAS. This would be best, as if there are any new features that you can manage they will show up there as opposed to using the outboard System Manager. The one good thing about the outobard System Manager is that it will keep track of all of your clusters, which in our case is nice since we have almost 30 of them. In that event, I'd recommend that you connect to the support site and download SM 3.1.3 before doing anything, it will be the most compatible with newer Java versions and will also get you any security and functionality updates since 3.1.2. In most (all?) cases, if there is an onboard SM on the NAS, SM should recognize it and auto-switch to it upon connection, so long as you're using the most recent offboard SM such as 3.1.3. Older versions aren't aware that an onboard SM is even possible. This gets you the "best of both worlds".

As for updating Java and keeping it compatible with SM, I've run through a lot of versions of SM over the years, and I've never run into an issue with Java incompatibility so long as you keep to at least the minimum specified versions. Just update the current Java, usually it will uninstall the older version as part of the installation. If it doesn't, then use Uninstall Programs to uninstall it.

Java is a weird animal, so there's a remote possibility that you might have to re-install SM after updating Java. This is something I've run into with a couple of Java-based apps, but I don't recall this happening with SM. I mention it here "just in case".

I hope this helps you. Good luck with your new NetApp endeavours, and don't hesitate to open a case or post here if you have any other questions.

Scott

Public