Data Infrastructure Management Software Discussions

Highlighted

OnCommand System Manager recieves error 500

Good day, i am running OnCommand System Manager ver 3.1.1 on Windows.

Today, for the very first time, i have seen this issue: i can connect to my 3210 running DataONTAP 8.0.3P2 7-mode, but when i try to reach my new 2240 running DataONTAP 8.1.3P3 7-mode i recieve an error 500 "connection refused".

I have found this workaround: on the 2240s i have issued the command >options httpd.admin.enable on ;

after this the OnCommand System Manager probably still tries a secure connection, on the console i see errors like 

[hostname: HTTPPool03:warning]: HTTP XML Authentication failed from MyClientIP . 

But now i guess OnCommand System Manager falls back to a non secure connection, i see the question "do you want to set up a secure connection or continue without...", i answer "continue without" and i'm able to manage my filers again.

What's happened? Maybe something java updates related? Thanks in advance.

Alessandro

95 REPLIES 95
Highlighted

Re: OnCommand System Manager recieves error 500

I created another post realted to this.

Did you happen to install java 8 client(s)?

Highlighted

Good Morning everyone!

Im struggling with the same issue.

Is there a workaround or a fix to this problem?

My java-client version is 7.45 due to the fact, that we need this exact version for some other applications here.

But if the only way to get the OnCommandSystemmanager working again is to update java, surely i will do the update.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

Hello everyone!

I just updated Java to the latest version and this issue is solved.

It seems to be java related.

This is working for OnCommandSystemmanager version 3.1.1 and 3.1.2

BR

Stefan

Highlighted

I have written 2 KB's related to this issue:

KB ID: 2021850 

OnCommand System Manager is unable to authenticate clustered Data ONTAP using secure protocols when Java 8u25 is installed on the host

KB ID: 2021507

OnCommand System Manager 3.1 and 3.1.1 do not function when using Java 8.x

Highlighted

I am using OCSM 3.1.1RC1 as well and got upgraded to Java 8 update 31 and am having the same issues with SSL. I also change the .exe with the .jar version and still have the same issues. I uninstalled Java 8 and reverted back to Java 7u75 but that didn't seem to work either. I'm stumped.

Highlighted

Exact same thing here...Removed all traces of Java 8, installed 7u75, got the System Manager to install but cannot connect to anything.  Just error 500.  Another user here is able to connect without any problems.

Highlighted

I ended up installing Java 8 U 31. Reinstalled OnCommand System Manager 3.1.1RC1 which kept all my filers. But when I try to run the Network Config Checker I get the enclosed errors. When I try to login to the filer themselves I get the other enclosed screenshot. The only thing that changed was the Java upgrade.

I can't seem to find anyone else with this exact type of issue though.

Highlighted

I have had the same issue.  If you are experiencing error 500 and are using Windows 7 Enterprise x64 try uninstalling all versions of Java and then install J7 U45 x86 and then J7 U71 x64 then install OCSM 3.1.1.

I had later versions of Java (x86/x64) and OCSM wouldn't launch.

Highlighted

I experienced similar issues when I inadvertently updated my to a Java 8 version.

As previously suggested I did the following to resolve the issue.

- uninstalled OCSM

- uninstalled all Java versions

- reinstalled Java 7 u51

- reinstalled OCSM

It seems to be the case that later versions of Java 7 and especially version 8 are incompatible. 

Highlighted

OnCommand System Manager recieves error 500

Uninstalling a current version of Java and re-installing and older more vulnerable version is not an option.

What is the real fix for this?

Our internal polices will simply remove the older version of Java and update again each night during inventory and version checks.

Highlighted

it is really impossible to guess why NetApp (but EMC, Equallogic also...) continues writing software to manage enteprise solutions -such as storage systems- using Java.

Java is not a reliable platform! You simply patch up your Java runtime environment (because of security issues) and voilà: nothing works any longer!

And, as anyone knows, every software based on JRE requires a specific, different version of JRE. Changing even the third subversion number of JRE breaks anything.

I think we, customers, should stop buying any product requiring JRE on admin's computer to be managed!

Highlighted

I am having a customer with the same security warning prompts as SCOTTY's last screenshot

When I click "Set up a secure connection" it refreshes the page with the same Security Warning

When I click "Continue wihtout secure connection" I get a 500 Connectino Refused error.

We rolled back to Java 7u71 and are still having the issue. 

@Scotty wrote:

I ended up installing Java 8 U 31. Reinstalled OnCommand System Manager 3.1.1RC1 which kept all my filers. But when I try to run the Network Config Checker I get the enclosed errors. When I try to login to the filer themselves I get the other enclosed screenshot. The only thing that changed was the Java upgrade.

I can't seem to find anyone else with this exact type of issue though.

Highlighted

I found the solution for this.  And, it does not require removing java, the OCSM and re-installing older versions

Make sure the httpd.admin is off (on is not secured)

options httpd.admin.enable off

Re-Run the setup for Secure Admin
secureadmin disable all
secureadmin setup ssl
secureadmin enable ssl
secureadmin enable ssh2

Enable TLS (in older version of ONTAP, this off by default)
options tls.enable on

Close any open OCSM Session and try again.

THis resolved the 500 Connection Refused erros for me and I am running Java 8x

Highlighted

Hi everybody,

at least I am not alone with that problem...

I tried different versions of the OCSM (3.0 and 3.1.1) on different platforms (2k3 and 7-64) with different java versions 7.74 (? - latest) , 8.25 and 8.31

as FKL said before  I first get the

netapp is not configured for secure management -error

and then it divides:

my old netapp 2040 then accepts the insecure connection

but my new 2240 doesnt and return error 500 "connection refused"

i reinstalled the SSH / SSL certificates with no success (at least on my 2240)

i created a new admin-user with a simple password - again with no success

guess i have to create a new VM and start with java 6  (halleluja and java forever  )

btw: the solution Chuck offers doesnt work for me

til then

Hilmar

Highlighted

OK, heres my version of a solution:

- a clean Windows-7 64 bit

- Java 7u25  64 bit version

- Firefox 32  (as default browser)

- OnCommand version 3.0

the changes proposed by Chuck are still active - will check if they are needed / helpful :

options httpd.admin.enable off

secureadmin disable all
    secureadmin setup ssl
    secureadmin enable ssl
    secureadmin enable ssh2

options tls.enable on

a simple password only with characters - will check if needed

with that version i successfully connect to my old FAS 2040 and my new FAS 2240 without any error - puah

hope that helps

Hilmar

Try the NEW Knowledgebase!
NetApp KB Site
Forums